K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: NGK Iridium Spark Plugs Reply with quote

So, after some positive reviews here and a little Googling on a few car sites, I decided to lay down $32 for a set of NGK Iridium spark plugs. (DR7EIX)

I ended up using the first set on my K75 project bike. They seem to work just fine on that bike.

This weekend I took the second set I bought and installed them on the LT followed by a throttlebody synch. Since the Bosch XR7LDC plugs they replaced had about 14k on them and I probably hadn't synch'd the TBs in 5000 miles, it's not an apples to apples comparison but my butt dyno is extremely happy with them and the bike is running better than ever.

From my Googling they supposedly last several tens of thousands of miles so IMO in the long run they are better and more cost effective then the Bosch plugs.

I give them two snaps up and will be installing them in the RS soon as well.

Mmmmm...... spark plugs.....

86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
tmoons
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: NGK Iridium Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
So, after some positive reviews here and a little Googling on a few car sites, I decided to lay down $32 for a set of NGK Iridium spark plugs. (DR7EIX)

I ended up using the first set on my K75 project bike. They seem to work just fine on that bike.

This weekend I took the second set I bought and installed them on the LT followed by a throttlebody synch. Since the Bosch XR7LDC plugs they replaced had about 14k on them and I probably hadn't synch'd the TBs in 5000 miles, it's not an apples to apples comparison but my butt dyno is extremely happy with them and the bike is running better than ever.

From my Googling they supposedly last several tens of thousands of miles so IMO in the long run they are better and more cost effective then the Bosch plugs.

Could you have a look at what it would cost YOU the stick those sparkers in a box and ship them to holland... as 32 USD is about the price PER Irridium unit over here Sad
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$30 for a single spark plug? YIKES!!!!! Shocked

An International Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box from the US to The Netherlands is $13. I won't do it but I'm sure someone else here from the US would be willing to help you out.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
FinnRS

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: NGK Iridium Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Could you have a look at what it would cost YOU the stick those sparkers in a box and ship them to holland... as 32 USD is about the price PER Irridium unit over here Sad[/quote]

How about http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Works fine to Finland.
RAL88
Flying Brick Rider

Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NGK-iridium-spark-plug-DR7EIX-Yamaha-BMW-Honda_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem4140b888d8QQitemZ280258709720QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R
RAL88
Flying Brick Rider

Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FREE-SHIPPING-ngk-spark-plugs-iridium-4-pack-DR7EIX_W0QQitemZ150294150133QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item22fe3abbf5&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: R in the plug number Reply with quote

So I'm at a MC shop killing time.
I ssk them the price for these plugs. They tell me the stock NGK plug is NOT a resister plug, the Iridium number IS resister.
They tell me not to do that, but can't say why?
Possible periphrial eloectrical interferance?

Should I worry ? Confused Or just buy on line? Smile

All BS?
Shocked
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Iridium plugs Reply with quote

Were you at a BMW shop? They'll tell you anything - won't they?

What's wrong with the resistor? It just cuts electrical noise, right? No one seems to be having a problem with them.

I'd think there would be cheaper places to get them than at a motorcycle shop.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Plugs MC shop Reply with quote

No, not BMW.
Just general MC / bike / skate board type shop.
My son was looking at a board.

They are pretty close to my house, maybe 10 min drive.

Not certain if the ignition or any thing else in the system relies on feedback form the non-resister type plug.

I also wanted to ask about a front tire.

They wanted $159.00 for a Michilin Pilot Road 2.
That's mounted, bring in the tire off the bike.
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Why use a resister type plug Reply with quote

Regardless of where you buy them, here's anothr reason why you should.

Maybe I answered my own question. The following from NGK:

As well as reducing electrical noise for radio, television and mobile telephones etc, many modern ignition systems require resistor plugs to stop electrical noise from interfering with the vehicle's on-board electronic control units (ECUs). If non-resistor plugs are used in place of resistor ones, the result can be malfunction and in some cases immobilisation of the vehicle. Resistor spark plugs should always be fitted, therefore, where specified. NGK resistor spark plugs contain a single ceramic monolythic resistor of approximately 5000 ohms. Because of the type and construction of the resistor (ie no springs), the problems of vibration and sudden changes in temperature that can occur with some other brands do not apply. The function of the resistor is to reduce electrical noise generated by the ignition system. The most effective place to situate a resistor in the high tension circuit is as close to the spark plug as possible. This makes the spark plug an ideal place to house the resistor. Because the resistance value is only approximately 5000 ohms, there is no detrimental effect on engine performance, power output, vehicle emissions etc. It is also a fact that many motor sport world champions only use NGK resistor spark plugs. In nearly all cases - apart from some very old low output ignition systems - resistor spark plugs can be used in place of the non resistor versions.
Phil Marvin
Rider in the Sky

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, All,
I'm not interested in iridium plugs. I'm perfectly happy with the Autolite plugs I've been using for tens of thousands of miles. That said, I don't want anyone to be led astray by a "motorcycle shop". The K1100 bikes came from the factory with Bosch XR5DC spark plugs. The "R" means it is a RESISTOR plug. My K75 bikes came with X5DC plugs. I have used Bosch X5DC, XR5DC, NGK DR7EA, D7EA and Autolite 4163 (resistor) plugs. I can't tell any difference between ANY of the plugs. So I stick with the Autolites at just over $1 each.
Ride Safe,
'95 K75RTP
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They wanted $159.00 for a Michilin Pilot Road 2.
That's mounted, bring in the tire off the bike.

That's a great price for RP2 mounted. My BMW dealer wanted $250!

I paid $135 online for the tire and $22.50 for mounting (off bike).
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Michilien Pilot 2's Reply with quote

Good to know about the tires, thanks!

I was looking on line, found the same thing, between shipping and all, I might save $10 if I mount it myself.
I CAN do it, I HAVE done it, but for $10.00 I gotta soul search pretty hard.
beemeerr11
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: NGK Iridium Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:

So what's the feedback from the Iridium plugs?
Cheers
Lou
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: