K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"On The Road“ Social courtesy ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: "On The Road“ Social courtesy ? Reply with quote

Hello all...

Well it's a still raining in upper New England and for an old fährt not a good day to take a ride, so over a cup of tea I was thinking about some Incidents from last summer that still perplex me somewhat..... and the first involves "Passing etiquette"
Despite being old and decrepit, when on the K I do like to push the Throttle a tad faster than the average guy... Well last Summer riding the 401 north out of Toronto headed for Montreal I came up on a long line of "peg on peg" riders all wearing Colors and all with an added MC patch. The line was riding on or just slightly above the speed limit, but I on the fully loaded K was doing considerably over that speed!
How should I handle that situation??? 1) fly by like an arrogant asshole..2) acknowledge the whole line as I pass by...3) join in behind and take first exit..4) lift my visor and acknowledge the leader at the front with a wave and a thumbs up??? I just don't know what to do, any advice from your own experiences??
What I did do was to sheepishly slow way down and join in behind taking the first exit to find a bottle of chocolate milk and a roller-dog! However there must be a better way, to 1) exhibit respect and not incur the irre of the group..2) keep up my speed and be on my way. I think even if I had not seen the added MC patch I would have taken the same course of action by exiting... What would you have done????

Best regards and Ride Safe....../ Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're fully patched 1% types then I'd do what you did and pull over to take a break. They have their own code of "pride" and along with that they may be hopped up on meth or whatever which isn't known for making people rational and non-violent.

For non-patched cruiser types I wait for a legal passing zone, chop it down into 3rd and pin the throttle.

A few years ago I passed about a half dozen non-patched cruiser types on the CA coast. I guess the lead rider took offense because when I checked my mirrors after the pass he was attempting to ride up my butt. I laughed and left him in the dust on the next set of turns because no matter how good of a rider he might have been there was no way his HD had the peg clearance to keep up in the twisties. Laughing
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
If they're fully patched 1% types then I'd do what you did and pull over to take a break. They have their own code of "pride" and along with that they may be hopped up on meth or whatever which isn't known for making people rational and non-violent.

For non-patched cruiser types I wait for a legal passing zone, chop it down into 3rd and pin the throttle.

A few years ago I passed about a half dozen non-patched cruiser types on the CA coast. I guess the lead rider took offense because when I checked my mirrors after the pass he was attempting to ride up my butt. I laughed and left him in the dust on the next set of turns because no matter how good of a rider he might have been there was no way his HD had the peg clearance to keep up in the twisties. Laughing

My veteran plate and Marine Corps license frame usually takes care of dissuading anyone from trying that on me. Smile
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone can read your license plate and frame then you aren't riding fast enough. Laughing
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
If someone can read your license plate and frame then you aren't riding fast enough. Laughing

At that point in time, the idea is for them to get a good look at what it says. Smile
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

Hi folks....
Well OK, the Duck told me what he would have done,, anybody else??
The reason that I backed off after seeing the small MC patch added to the Colors is that it signifies a Club whose turf you are most likely riding on.... As far as I know only clubs like the H'Angels, Banditos, Mongels, etc and their affiliates are allowed to affix the small added MC patch........ So in order to keep from commiting a faux pas I decided to "take a break"...... But how would you handle the same situation with Courtesy if coming up on a group of wannabes just headed out for Sunday lunch??

Ride Safe all......../ Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally up where you are at in moose country, I'd be in no hurry to get anywhere.....especially if you want to actually get there. Let them have their space.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't 401 four lane divided??? I thought it was. On a four lane, I'd get in the left / passing lane and go... nothing wrong with that. If that upsets someone, they have a problem.

If I was west of Oshawa, with no passing lane, I think I would have jumped off on Rte 2 past Oshawa and taken the scenic route for awhile. That's just me - I enjoy 2 lanes much more than 4.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: