K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The end of Rolling Thunder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: The end of Rolling Thunder Reply with quote

I know others might feel differently about this event, but I, for one, am happy to hear the end of the thunder. Having listened to motorcycles with straight pipes rumbling back and forth 24 hours a day on Rte 50 for more years than I care to count, I'm looking forward to some quiet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/rolling-thunder-says-2019-motorcycle-rally-will-be-its-last-in-dc/2018/12/13/d2dccfac-ff03-11e8-88f2-79568e0735fb_story.html?utm_term=.b6e22c40f165
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE HD with straight pipes is one too many.

Loud pipes save egos. That's about it.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick funny.

First of all I live in Harley country. I'll bet that more than 3/4 of the bikes around here are H-D, and that swells dramatically during Laconia bike week which is about an hour south of our home.

A neighbor who lives a mile or so down the road once asked me how I made my bike (the K100RS) so quiet. Laughing He was surprised when I told him that my BMW was about as loud as all bikes were supposed to be by law.

I told him to ask one of the "loud pipe" riders why their bike was so loud. Rolling Eyes

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Bruce_T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same about Street Vibrations here. Annoying as anything for a week. I played a gig at our local HD dealer this year. The most ego laden annoying even to try and get my vehicle with gear out of around thousands of people with no concept of traffic courtesy. Instant headache.
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I moved to the D.C. area in '94 I participated in Rolling Thunder on my airhead. I was appalled by the general lack of riding skills and knowledge. I stopped doing it at all about '98. It just kept getting worse instead of better.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
SinNH
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Here's a quick funny.

First of all I live in Harley country. I'll bet that more than 3/4 of the bikes around here are H-D, and that swells dramatically during Laconia bike week which is about an hour south of our home.

Rolling Eyes

Wished I lived an hour away during "clown week". I sleep eight miles from the track and 16 from Laconia, last night, all, all night long. On the throttle, off the throttle, on/off,on/off, 99% of the straight pipe crowd need to grow up.
It all went down the tube when Bryar lost sanctioning. Now it is this BS. :]
OK, I'm done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Mr. Green
00 R1100RT
To put one�s life in controlled danger from time to time promotes sanity in dealing with everyday affairs.
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning all...

Re those “loud pipe clowns” .... while I do think that most of the post middle age HD riders are “good people” just out to have a good time usually with spouses on board, the lack of “riding skills” is however very very apparent especially during Bike Week here in NH... I live in the upper Connecticut River Valley of NH on the back side of Cardigan Mtn, and first week in June signals the arrival of hundreds of HD ear splitting old technology so-called motorcycles on their way to Laconia.. Living in “HD country” is bad enough, but June is barely tolerable for hearing individuals (I am deaf) and my wife’s (hearing person) blood pressure from the constant noise goes through the roof, making her “difficult” ( ie: more difficult) to live with.. A friend once told me that for him that Harley Sound was like pure testosterone and the louder the pipes the higher the high!! Is that what it’s all about ?.

Regards all,, Rid Safe....../ Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: