K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K1100RS handling - problem???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarrisBikeNut
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: K1100RS handling - problem??? Reply with quote

Any other forum members have a K1100RS which “wanders” right when hands are taken off of the bars? Mine has always done it. Bike has been MOT tested twice by the same garage and the wheels are in line. Tyres are good, forks not leaking. I’ve read that having the rear hub on the right is a factor but I’ve two other Beemers and they are fine. Forks don’t appear twisted in the yokes. Can’t believe it’s a “natural” feature of the bike but is it?

Bob
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob, Welcome...

As far as the wandering, there are a few factors at play here.

1. the head stock bearings. Does the steering feel smooth when moved side to side. Sometimes this can feel "notchy" either from a bad bearing/race, or dried out hardened grease. Are the bearings too tight/loose.

2. tires, tread wear(cupping)/balance/air pressure/size(width). Are the tires mounted evenly on the rim. Are there any broken belts in the tire.

3. road crown

4. bike loading, cargo, rider, passenger, etc... how is the weight distributed on the bike.

5. wheel bearings, both front and rear. More than likely are fine but...... they affect the alignment.

6. frame mounting to the motor. Is the frame square/true, has the bike been in an accident or drop that could have tweeked the frame out of square.

Wheel tracking is allowed to be off by 12mm positive or negative.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a K that didn't pull to the right. If I had one that went straight THAT would worry me.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Dixie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine also pulls to the right. When the bike was new to me I was worried about it, but after talking to lots of other K11 owners confirmed that I wasnt alone - seems to be one of those ' its not a bug its a feature' things.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Pulling to the left or right Reply with quote

The original question was about the bike tending to wander over the roadway not pulling to the left or right. It is going right off topic.

However.

Can I suggest that in America where they drive on the 'wrong' Surprised side of the road where the natural camber is to the right this will tend to pull virtually any to the right if you remove your hands from the grips or steering wheel. In UK where we drive on the 'correct' Very Happy side of the road, the camber is to the left and I have found all vehicles will tend to drift over to the left. In both cases, because generally on a good well engineered road the edges on the left or right (depending on which side you drive on) are lower than the centre to assist water drain off, this will naturally make any vehicle drift to the side.

But going back to the original question I will go for either the head bearings are too tight, or the opposite, where they are worn and will tend to index in the centre where a pit or depression can be generated over time. Taking up any slack will not cure a pitted bearing and it will have to be replaced.

I have owned a number of K bikes 3 x K100LT's and 3 x K1100LT's and in ALL cases I have found because of the extra load imposed by the heavy fairing on the front, the head bearings take a pounding and they will almost certainly need replacing around 35k to 40k miles. With similar bikes such as the K100RS/K1100RS this is generally not a problem but they will act in exactly the same way if they get worn or have a higher milage. Bad roads will exacerbate the problem of early wear.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first sentence of the OP says it "wanders" right.

Not all lanes in the US camber to the right. For example, on a divided multi-lane road the left lane will slope down to the left.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
The first sentence of the OP says it "wanders" right.

Not all lanes in the US camber to the right. For example, on a divided multi-lane road the left lane will slope down to the left.

For 'wanders' include 'drift'. I gave my experiences which will be different to anyone else, but includes all possibilities I have come accross
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: