K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member - Just saying Hi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark_C

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: New Member - Just saying Hi Reply with quote

Hi All

Just picked up a new to me K1100LT last week to run alongside my 1150gs that I’ve owned for 13 years. There aren’t many bikes that park next to my GS that make it look small, but the LT is certainly one of them!

I’ve taken a bit of a gamble with this LT, breaking all the rules by buying one with no documented service history and without a test ride. However I felt like the seller was an honest chap, the price was good and as I don’t mind getting my hands dirty I took a punt.

Only owned the bike for less than a week, but so far I’ve been pleasently surprised by the thing. All the big important stuff like the gearbox, clutch and abs seems fine, the screen works well, even the radio works. It was a bit smokey for the first day (stored for a while on side stand by the previous owner) but that has cleared up nicely.

Plugs look new, if a bit oily, all fluids where they should be and the ride is pretty good. My only issue has been an intermittent misfire when cruising and a general smell of fuel.

I’ve been reading up all I can on here and it seemed to me that the coolant temperature sensor might well be the cause. Spent this morning stripping off the plastics and the radiator and by lunchtime the sensor was off and sitting in a saucepan on the stove.

I tested the resistance across the terminals as the water heated and found all was well until it hit about 75 centigrade when all resistance was lost. Above about 88 degrees the resistance was back again. I repeated this a few times with the same result. Looks like the sensor gives up right about at normal bike operating temperature. Anyway, a replacement sensor has been ordered so we will see if this cures it.

Looking forward to riding this bike a bit more soon but is there anything else I should be checking while the bike is in bits?
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome..

Check all of the rubber bits... Fuel lines, vacuum hoses, brake lines... etc.. you get the idea.

The newest K bikes are going on 20 years old now so any of that stuff that is still original should really be replaced, especially the brake lines.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott said it all.

But keep in mind that these K100/1100 engines/bikes are very hard to kill.

By the way- WELCOME to the K11OG

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Mike d
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. I am just down the road from you near Daventry.

Are you a member of the BMW Club (UK), as I run their tool hire facility and have loads of workshop manuals and special tools for BMW's.

We also meet up at the Café in Wollastons from noon on the first Sunday of the month.

Mike
Mark_C

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Brake hoses are high on my list.

Mike - That’s good to know. I’m not a member myself but my bike looks like it has been! It has a BMW club badge on the mudguard. Although I bought it from Derbyshire it’s a local bike with a Northampton number plate and it looks like Wollaston were the suppling dealer. I wonder if you know one of its pervious owners though the club? N reg Aspen Silver LT SE.
Mike d
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have access to membership details, but do know that you don't normally see the K series at the main dealer. I will be at Wollaston this coming Sunday and will probably be the only K1100.

Last week we came back from a Midland section jaunt to a Chateau in Normandy. Not only was my bike the only K (Brick), but being a 1994 machine was the oldest bike there.

I may recognise your bike if I saw it in the flesh, so to speak.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: