K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any opinions on these inflatable vests ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Any opinions on these inflatable vests ? Reply with quote

Folks,

Wearable airbags !

Do any of you have experience with these ?

Helite airbag vests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-oAvYNtvPQ
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably keep you from drowning.

(Sorry, couldn't help it.)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Shabba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys in my riding group wears one. He says we can pull the pin to set it off if we agree to buy him a new CO2 cartridge (less than $30). We agreed but we wanted him to have it on and he refused. We remain at an impasse.
'00 R1100RT
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: More on wearable airbags Reply with quote

Shabba,

I'll contribute $1 if he agrees to pull the pin :D

Jokes aside, a version of these in now being marketed to Olympic skiers.

https://www.cnet.com/news/airbag-protects-winter-olympic-skiers-from-crashes-d-air-dainese/

Sanjiv
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These will soon be required in all forms of racing. I have a few friends that own them, or the jacket variant. They are way too expensive for me to afford right now, but I would like to have one.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leathers with airbags are now mandatory for MotoGP riders.

Multiple racer's opinions are that shoulder and neck injuries are reduced from approximately 50% likely without the airbag suit to 10% with it

A decade or 2 ago, didn't we hear similar doubts about how unnecessary ABS brakes were?

I have been looking at a few different manufacturers.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: From the BMW MOA facebook page... Reply with quote

"Erik Munck
March 25 at 11:10pm

[[For the month of April MOA members can get a huge discount on any HELITE products. Send me a PM to learn more, please?]]

A year ago, today, I was as close to death as I have ever been. A 22 year old mindless driver attempted to kill me. Texting, speeding and solo in the car pool lane. Even though I was badly injured, my HELITE air bag vest saved my life.

Given the speed differential, I should have suffered (at the very least) massive internal injuries and a broken back/neck.But from the waist up, I did not have a scratch or a bruise. The HELITE inflated to about 18 PSI, stiffening and stabilizing my torso, back and neck. Although I was thrown 15 feet up and landed on my back, my helmet never touched the ground. After surgery to repair my shattered femur, and a month in a hospital bed I am now almost as good as new. I have since become a non-paid spokes person and am also now a Helite dealer. Feel free to contact me with any questions and ask me about discounts to MOA members.

My story was just published in the Danish 'MC Touring' Magazine. I guess I can now claim to be an 'internationally published' Motorcycle wordsmith"

I'm not going to try to add the pix here...

Yeah, they are expensive. What's your life worth?
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:

I have been looking at a few different manufacturers.

Helite and Dainese are the only two I've come across. Do let us know if there are others.

Helite's sizing is really bizarre (at least for my body) so I've held back on ordering one. They could not come up with a place where I could walk in and try on different sizes.

Dainese has a showroom in San Francisco but I have not made it up there.

Sanjiv
Oscar91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has various air vests for commuting in winter and one "normal". These are Point two air vests. A lanyard is fixed on the bike and also at the vest when you sit on the motorcycle.

He says there is another advantage besides the protection:
In hot weather, riding with an open jacket is possible without any problems because the flap of the jacket is prevented by "lanyard" Laughing
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time looking at these things this morning and think I'm going to buy a Hit Air New MC3.

Reasons I chose it over the Helite:

- It's got accessible pockets. One on the chest for a small wallet with my gas up credit cards. One on left front to hold my camera so I can shoot pics while riding. (I have a neck lanyard on my camera so I can't drop it while riding.)

- Its styling looks pretty normal. (I don't need HiViz because of all of the bright LEDs I have on my bikes.)

- The price was better than the Helite but to be honest I'd buy the Helite if I preferred it because both are cheap compared to a trip to the hospital.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
A decade or 2 ago, didn't we hear similar doubts about how unnecessary ABS brakes were?

No, that was three decades ago. Twisted Evil
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,

Just wanted to report back that I finally pulled the trigger on a HIT jacket. This is the "air mesh" version of the product so it helps me a lot on our bikes that have been known to run hot....

I am very pleased with this product and would recommend it heartily

http://www.air-vest.com/product/MX8.htm

Cheers,

Sanjiv
Nick H.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting an Alpinestars Tech Air built into a BKS leather jacket. I looked into all the airbag vests available in the UK. The Tech Air gives more protection than most, as it covers shoulders, ribs and back. And its claimed activation time is shorter than the rest.

If a car pulls in front of you and your bike t-bones it and you take off towards its roof edge, the Tech Air has a chance of inflating fully before you get there. The airbags with tethers are far too slow for that.

The Dainese and Tech Air use accelerometers and a computer processor to decide when to inflate. I don't know how fast the Dainese is because the company refuses to release detailed info. It doesn't protect the shoulders. It uses one gas bottle, whereas the Tech Air uses two in street mode. It's also half the price of the Tech Air, so it seems reasonable to expect that it doesn't perform as well. I ruled it out.

The Tech Air accelerometers are designed to sense the impact of your tyre with the car. This detection phase, while all the electronics talk to each other and decide what to do, takes 30-60 milliseconds. It varies according to the circumstances of the crash. The inflation phase always takes 25 milliseconds in street mode. What happens next depends on so many things...how fast are you going? Will your body fly directly to the car or will it be slowed by hitting the tank, bars, instruments and screen? Who can say. I hope that if the worst happens the Tech Air will improve my chances. Unless I bleed out because the screen cuts my femoral artery...or my organs burst because I hit a brick wall at 40 mph...

I think of airbags as helmets for the chest. You never know whether your helmet will save you, but you can't argue with the fact that lots of deaths have been prevented by helmets: before the UK had a helmet law, the principal cause of death for bikers was head injuries. Since then it's been chest injuries...broken ribs making holes in your lungs and heart..that sort of thing. So if you think helmets are a good idea, why not wear an airbag?

The Tech Air also has a race mode, in which only one gas cylinder inflates. To switch modes you connect a PC to the airbag control unit and swap the algorithms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: