K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1994 K1100lt no start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
7gooddays

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: 1994 K1100lt no start Reply with quote

Hello All,

this is my first post, so please let me know if i did something wrong posting (i tried reading the noob instructions). i have searched in the threads, but cannot find my specific issue. tried other thread post ideas with no avail.

the issue: a recently purchased 1994 K1100LT that has been sitting for ~2 months. it will spark...but does not start. the starter engine turns it over though. i do not hear the fuel pump go on when the kill switch is set to the "ignition ready" position (center position). i know i should hear it prime for a second. the faring and audio system are stripped off the bike for me to work on it.

things i have done:
1) fresh new, charged battery

2) put fuel in the tank.

3) kill switch seems to be working fine. engine turns over when pushing the starter button and kill switch turned off.

4) fuel pump not priming. replaced fuel level sensor and fuel pump. Fuel system now priming and pressurizing fuel system.

5) getting spark unsure why bike won't fire up?
Inge K.
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the sidestand switch, it cuts the power to the fuel pump.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inge K. wrote:
Check the sidestand switch, it cuts the power to the fuel pump.

That was also my 1st thought, but he does say that after replacing the pump, that it does now prime and pressurize the system.
The OP also says the starter works, and plugs are firing.
It has me scratching my head at the moment.

The one thing that it could be, are that the injectors aren't opening, or that they are plugged up and not flowing enough fuel.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
7gooddays

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: 1994 K1100lt no start Reply with quote

Inge K. wrote:

It has me scratching my head at the moment.

The one thing that it could be, are that the injectors aren't opening, or that they are plugged up and not flowing enough fuel.

The injectors are receiving the signal to open and close and I can feel the injector coil clicking open and closed while cranking the bike. Will pull the fuel rail and check if injectors are flowing fuel.

Is there a chance of a missing ground somewhere, when I purchased the bike the tank and seat were loose as in previous owner had checked the fuel pump relay. Wondering if he may have disconnected a ground somewhere?
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a ground point at the base of the starter(or a transmission mount bolt), and a ground point under the fuel tank near the front.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
7gooddays

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: 1994 K1100lt no start Reply with quote

Checked all the ground points good

Pulled the fuel rail to verify if injectors are working none of them are spraying fuel. Resistance checked good 16 ohms, verified voltage and pulse width signal being sent from Motronic unit and all 4 signals were present.

Checked locally to have injectors cleaned and flow tested, turns out to be cheaper just to purchase 4 injectors. They should be here middle of week.

I did spray a little fluid in ports and bike fired and run for a couple of seconds.

Thanks for assistance will update once injectors are installed. I am surprised all the injectors are stuck closed.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you compared your local cleaning price to :
http://www.mrinjector.us/

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the bike was only sitting for 2 months? For all four injectors to be fouled is pretty strange. Unless someone put something in the gas that caused them to stick. You can find a set of 4 four-hole injectors on eBay. They come out of a newer BMW, but they are plug and play in a K-bike. Supposed to make more power/better economy/saves the Manatees. I bought a set for a little over $100 and really liked them.
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Sad

There are two tiny fluroelastomer o-rings inside each injector at opposite ends of the needle, that will swell and revert ( dh: de-vulcanize into gum ) in the presence of some fuel additives IF allowed to "soak"... ie: sit idle for extended periods such as storage. Some fuel additives ( such as GumOut ) contain methanol and other esters which are DEADLY to FKM (Viton) in any concentration, and especially fast acting when over 18% by volume. It could be that the tiny orifices are simply plugged internally with elastomer residue ????

Good luck....// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
7gooddays

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: 1994 K1100lt no start Reply with quote

Finally the injectors arrived, bike is running good.

Had an issue with the ignition switch were it turned to many positions but, haven't been able to duplicate problem again. Will have to research some more about this.

I'll be replacing the brake hoses this week and the bike should be ready for riding. Thanks for the assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: