K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tyre/Tire wear pattern - opinions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dixie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Tyre/Tire wear pattern - opinions Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm just in the middle of doing an 'all spline' lube, along with many other general maintenance things that the PO neglected to do.
So far I've had my '92 K1100RS ABS for less than a year and I knew that when the season would be out I would need to buy a new rear tire.
BUT
I've noticed that the tire is suspisiously worn on the left (as you sit on the bike), and when I took the brake caliper off, I can see that the wear in the brake pads corresponds to this.
Does anybody have any experience with this? I assume that the rear wheel is either bent, misaligned, incorrectly installed, not balanced - or did the PO just run in circles? Rolling Eyes (btw the spacer was installed)
I guess being a single sided swing arm could contribute to this, but...just to be sure.

...ride safe
CABNFVR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, there are tons of threads on this on other forums as well, and it's as you surmise to a large extent. Swingarm, engine torque, crown of the road, etc. The good news is that it really is normal.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Uneven wear Reply with quote

Actually if my K1100lt showed wear similar to that I would also express doubts about the tracking. Of all my 'K' bikes I have owned none of them has had uneven wear on either front or rear.

The only oddity was with my 1st pair of Michelin Pilot Active tyres was when the front wore quicker than the rear!!! Most odd, considering the 2nd pair I fitted are wearing normally.
CABNFVR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Uneven wear Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:
Actually if my K1100lt showed wear similar to that I would also express doubts about the tracking. ...
The crown of the road actually helps you in England. Google "bmw motorcycle left side tire wear" if you want to read more on the subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: