K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

slight smoke on startup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a330us

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: slight smoke on startup Reply with quote

Picked up a 94 K11RS from original owner several months ago with only 6500 miles on it and beautiful condition. It had been sitting for several years so did a complete service on it except splines. It even had original tires which were replaced of course and never smoked at all with the few hundred miles I put on it. I let it sit for 3 months or so and started right up but smoked some for 3 0r 4 minutes before it stopped. It's kind of a light gray and smells a little rich or oily perhaps.
When I open the gas cap I get a whoosing sound like a suction is holding the cap closed, is that normal or do I have a vent problem ? It runs great and oh yes, the bike is always parked on the center stand. Any suggestions on what is going on would be great. Thanks Arch.
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it do it every start up or just the first after the long sit? I'd be tempted to do an Italian tuneup and wring it out, let it sit overnight, and then see what happens.
a330us

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, went for a hard 45 mile ride last time even ran it up to a hundred but next day still the same. Thanks Arch.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly normal for K bikes.
If it bothers you try putting it on the center stand.

Sanjiv
abreeze
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like oil burning off.

Do you use the side stand? if you do oil will get past the rings and smoke. A drop will take a few mins to burn off, so no big worry.

If it smokes every time you start. it could be a valve guide seal. Not much you can do to easily fix. requires head removal.

Its not a big deal unless its a total nuisance.. pulling the head is not the end of the world if needed. It can be done with the engine in the frame. and if you do it while adjusting the valves your halfway there!
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a whoosh when opening the gas cap, there's something wrong.

Follow the crank case vent down toward the right side of the block, near the air filter box. If there is a gray check valve in that line, that's problematic - it gets stuck. It's a California thing, anyway.

Ideally, you'd install an air accumulator under the drain and tank vent nipples on the bottom of the tank, attach a section of hose to the accumulator, and run it down low somewhere on the right side of the bike.

You can search the forum for accumulator. Not sure what the part number is - if you want to order one. Someone else here might know.

The original crank case vent system was apparently not the brightest idea BMW engineers ever had. That can be improved, also.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."

Last edited by Jim on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
a330us

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, since I've always kept the bike on center stand and I'm still getting the whoosh when I open the gas cap I'm going to try and track that down. I was in that area trying to replace the air filter and I think I had the gas tank off(lot of bikes since then!) I might have crimped something. Arch.
abreeze
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. The little grey check valve under the tank has to go.. Pos..

That will cure the tank pressure thing..
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: K1100 oil smoke Reply with quote

I have owned K75, K100 and K1100 bikes and never ever have I seen smoke coming out of the exhaust even after a long hard ride or starting up after the bike is cold, on the K1100 bike.

With the K75 and K100 bikes it can be (is) quite normal but they don't burn oil between changes. The K1100 bikes on the other hand use, oil irrespective of how fast/slow you ride but do not smoke! Nor do they ever seem to leave a burnt deposit on the plugs. Go figure that one out!

I have had 3 K1100LT's since 2003 and they all burnt oil at the rate of about 250cc per 800 miles. (Well within the BMW suggested limits) irrespective of how they were ridden, or what grade of oil was used.

I always use a 20/50 mineral oil of the exact specification in the hand book in my K1100LT and do also on my current K75s. I wonder if an oil with a lighter weight has been used, this could promote the symptoms that he is finding.
Jydtw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: slight smoke on startup Reply with quote

a330us wrote:
Picked up a 94 K11RS from original owner several months ago with only 6500 miles on it and beautiful condition. It had been sitting for several years so did a complete service on it except splines. It even had original tires which were replaced of course and never smoked at all with the few hundred miles I put on it. I let it sit for 3 months or so and started right up but smoked some for 3 0r 4 minutes before it stopped. It's kind of a light gray and smells a little rich or oily perhaps.
When I open the gas cap I get a whoosing sound like a suction is holding the cap closed, is that normal or do I have a vent problem ? It runs great and oh yes, the bike is always parked on the center stand. Any suggestions on what is going on would be great. Thanks Arch.

I own a 1996 K1100RS. My third K1100. I like this style BMW.

Bought the bike with just over 71,000 miles. I have never owned a bike with that many miles but this bike runs great.

My K1100 did puff white smoke if it was left sitting on the side stand for several (3 or more) days. 1 puff that's it.

I only saw this occur once maybe twice in the 3 months I have owned the bike. If I leave on the center stand I never see any puffs of smoke. I also rarely let it sit for more than a day or two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: