K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Side panel fixings?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robzki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Side panel fixings? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have bought a very dubious and despondent '97 ex police(I Think) k1100lt a few months ago and it has sat ever since. I will post pics and a few(loads) of other questions soon but in the meantime.....

While tinkering today I had the side covers off and there is 2 unused round lugs on the front and rear and matching receptacles(ooer) on the lower edge of the tank and the rear of the frame but they don't even come close to lining up. Is this usual or do I have a Frankenstein bike?
The side panels slot in to the front fairing and have a u-clip at the bottom along with a small cutout at the rear to fit the lug(or bodged bolt sticking out from the tail section so can't see why they would need the 2 extra lugs but can't figure out why the side panels AND the bike frame/tank would also have 2 unused fixings.

Sorry for the dimwitted question

Rob

Keep tuned for more questions like this and ones relating to main battery cables cut and fixed with cheap connectors and insulating tape 6" from the battery, why a white police bike would have red fairings and plastic panels sprayed with grey metal protection paint and supplied complete with 15 more aerosols full, new clutch fitted but didn't tighten up grub screw on gear lever so have 3" travel in the lever, why the bar ends look melted, why the temp gauge plastic has melted into what looks like a handy ashtray, why the radio cover look like a filing cabinet drawer, why the seat is unlike any I have seen on any other, why the screen looks like frosted glass, why you would fill a gouge in the cam cover with silicone and paint it black, why oil is leaking from an unused bolt hole from the sump, why the exhaust looks like it has been in a mangle, why I like it so much............?
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For proper side covers, there are 4 mounting points. You slide them forward into the front covers, then snap the very rear part onto the rods on the tail piece. The u shaped post slide over a rubber piece next to the battery, and the round post goes into a rubber grommet mounted on a metal piece attached to the bottom rear corners of the fuel tank.

Lot of knowledge here, ask away.
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you grabbed a handful with that one - and you might be posting a lot of pics...
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil leaking from an unused hole in the sump....... if this is at the forward end of the sump, you may have a oil/water pump shaft seal leaking.

Screen turning milky white, could be an aftermarket windscreen--some plastics do that when exposed to the sun's UV after time. Just like the non-glass headlight assemblies on cars/trucks now a days.

Sounds like you definitely have a re-builder on your hands.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You "can" polish the windshield but it's not easy and requires a lot of finest to not mess it up.

The plastic gage glasses are crappy, they delaminate and make it hard to read through, I replaced both of mine.

John is the oil/water pump guru.

MAX BMW has a great web site with parts diagrams and new parts from BMW. of note, you can enter your VIN and it will pull up the page specifically to your bike, then save that page as a favorite.

Beemer Boneyard is a great source for used parts. And eBay of course.

Please update your signature with your location and the specifics on the bike. Makes it easier for us to help.
Robzki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, always appreciated 😀

I will put a post up soon with pics(when I work out how)

I will research the oil pump shaft/seal etc. There is years of crud and oil on the lower part of the engine that I have slowly been clearing. The bike had sat off and on for the last 6years or so but there was no signs of oil on the driveway at all when I collected it and rode home, there was also none on the floor when it was parked here for a week or 2, it seems to have started later.....

I have tested a bit of polish on the screen and I think it will clean up ok or at least enough to see through. 😉

The gauges do look pretty shoddy, someone has (badly) installed a volt gauge where the map light should be, at least it's a Bmw gauge. I will probably try and fix these as per the instructions I have found but I'm not expecting miracles. I do have some Plx gauges which I may try and install but I'm not sure how waterproof I can make them.

The side panel still has me flummoxed, the frame numbers and logbook all look good. The front fairing looks like an 1100lt. The tail section has been filled and reshaped at the seam lines but I do have a replacement. It is the front and rear round posts on the panel that definitely do not match up with the tank and rear frame, the uclip fits fine. From any pics I can find the side panels don't usually have the round posts.
Concentrating on the front of the side panel, they slide into the front fairing but the round post is a good 1" lower than the tank grommet. I have seen some pics of the k1100lt that have a shorter panel that look like it angles up halfway and stops at the tank and would clip on there. Was this a model change at some point?

Sorry for the long post but it's difficult to explain what I mean....

Thanks again

Rob

Edit: I have googled images of the k1100lt and there seems to be several different panels, most cover almost all of the triangle of the frame, a few are shallower and only cover 1/2 of the frame triangle but a few are a lot shorter and don't reach the front fairing, strangely if I search for police k1100lt almost all have the shorter side panel there is even a gumtree ad with a year 2000 ex police one with the shorter panel, mine is '97
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: