K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watkins Glenn BMW rally?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Watkins Glenn BMW rally? Reply with quote

In Watkins Glenn for a SO's high school reunion, and I saw a flyer for a BMW rally, I think camping at the KOA here first weekend of Sept. Anyone ever been to one here? Lot of winding roads, might be worth a trip.
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been to a rally anywhere - but I have been in the Watkins Glen area a few times - the riding up there is great. Check the weather before you go...
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that there will be a rally there in Sept 2018, and there are a LOT of really good roads. I did pick up a map with dozens of bike routes on it. If we could get a few people interested we could split a cabin there next fall, we'd have to think up some sort of name for the gathering. But it's close to all the "new englanders" and Lynn already said she wants to go back next year.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chuck- interested.

Since the demise of the Hungry Lobsta at my home (lasted only 2 years) and Hungry Dungee at FD's place (also a brief 2 year run?), we haven't had a second K bike meet up in one calendar year. I have thought that a later in the season meet would be good to see some K11OG folks again.

September in the Finger Lakes area could be good, could be dicey. But I will put our tentative YES in here. The trip for us would be just over 1/3 of the distance I travel for HM. Cathy and I went to college a couple hours north and east of The Glen. There are some fun roads in the northern Catskills and up into the Adirondacks, which are north of I-90.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know it's an MOA rally with events at the state park there. I'll do some homework to see what cabins and such are available. There are several campgrounds near there as well, and then VRBO. I think the rally is after the last race of the season so places to stay should be better. Looking through the map there are a dozen loops that go from the glenn around the lake, between the lake and all over. Weather was low 70's to 85 when we were there, so who knows what it can be like.

It's a 12 hour drive for me, so about 8 hours farther than HM. The fact that Lynn has friends there make it worth her while to go.

I'll bring the map and we can talk about it at HM.

I've ridden the R bike to work last three days amnd am really liking it. with the stock exhaust on it it's much quieter, I may hang on to the race pipe and install it for HM next spring. it really turns into a beast!
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great about the R bike- will be interested to see it- I had an '04 Boxer Cup for a year or so.

Yeah- let's look into all this when we are at HM11. Cathy is coming next year (will be 6 years since she was at a HM) and we can see about dates and accommodations for Watkins Glen.

I haven't been there since we used to go for the 6 hour race & Cam-Am series back in the 70's.

'04 K1200GT
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed at Watkins Glenn Harbor Hotel. 4 stars, $300 ish a night for a balcony room. Incredible place, obviously the nicest place in town since there were 4 weddings there in 4 days.

At the Racetrack gift shop they were advertising track days, $25 for 3 laps. Not sure what days they do it, but you'd think they would schedule days during a rally.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great bike track.

But I have good memories of Mark Donohue in the 917-30 Porsche (1200 hp) battling the L&M Lola of Jackie Stewart and the McLarens of Hulme and Revson (yeah THAT Revson).

I was around the track as a passenger with my brother in law. Both he and my sister are Porsche club instructors.

'04 K1200GT
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning all..

I ditto what John had to say re " needing yet another Meet Site" for the K-group and the "Glenn" would be super. I have also biked all around there and the Finger Lakes in general and it was/is great. Mid-year can be oppressive weather wise, but late August or early September would sure be nice to camp in the open once again. Whatever 'research' yields as viable, count me in as well. On that same note... why couldnt we also consider a rebirth of the "Hungry Lobstah" as the "Hungry Blupoint" (crabs) somewhere on the East Coast, maybe Delaware or Maryland Chesapeke Bay Shore ???

Sorry to say that I am now convinced that this season will be the last on my beloved "K" for these weakening 75 year old legs...and she'll be going off to a new ( and very well checked out owner ) as soon as possible. Currently I am riding a "new" BMW G650gs with the single lung Rotax engine, and finding it both satisfactory and yet unsatisfying.! (( the K and I had a truly intimate and NEVER disappointng relationship )) Still, the G has many positive characteristics that I like and need, such as ACCELERATION and CORNERING! She's just not in a league with the "K" but still way ahead of the norm... Getting out to the Finger Lakes and packing this new baby for a camp out, is a thrilling prospect ...

Ride safe everyone.....// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie- whatever does it for you- K bike, F bike or Mazda Miata- whatever.....

Life is WAY too short to worry about what others think. Do what gives you the most joy. Isn't that makes us ride, drive or do anything for fun?

'04 K1200GT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: