K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking at a K1100LT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIV

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Looking at a K1100LT Reply with quote

I joined this forum 6th of January 2012. I live in Reykjavik, Iceland and own a great BMW K75RT. I have been waiting for another K to come my way for some time. Now I have been offered a 1992 K1100LT. Asking price is similar to 2.500 Pound, or offer.

This K was bought in Germany in 1992 and had one owner from new until May last year. Then it was bought by Icelandic man who drove it to Norway where he lived at the time. It has been in storage in Norway since then. Now, a year later he is importing it to Iceland and is putting it up fo sale. It will arrive in Reykjavík next week.

I have not seen it yet, but I will take a look at it as soon as it gets here. I know my K75RT very well but some things are different on the 1100.

This bike has 120.000 Km on the clock, paperwork from the original owner, original Green paint (metallic?), comes with radio, electric screen, touring panniers and more. Everything is said to be working flawlessly and the current owner insists that the first owner took very good care of it.

As I have been around motorcycles for 40 years I don´t believe a single word until I have seen, tested and tried a motorcycle! I have seen to many total crap motorcycles that were said to be mint and made of gold! Wink But... sometimes your lucky sometimes your not.

This is said to be a video of similar bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfOUUrx59a4

Did this bike have some significant updates or changes during its ten years of manufacturing? What should I look for other than the obvious? All advice is greatly appreciated!
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a K1100LT Reply with quote

TIV wrote:
What should I look for other than the obvious? All advice is greatly appreciated!

I would inspect both ends and yokes of the driveshaft, looking carefully for cracks and signs of wear.
Make sure the brake calipers are not stuck and plan on disassembling and cleaning them soon.

I have both K1100LT and K75RT and aside from engine size and ABS version differences (ABS2 after 1993 (I think)) I find them to be very similar machines, as far as physical size goes anyway.
The K1100 is about 50kg heavier.
The K75 is smoother, but lacks the power that the K1100 has.

Good Luck!
Bill

The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: