K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mystery air hose

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dom Cioffi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: mystery air hose Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have been replacing all of my fuel lines and air lines. At the top of the air box, their are two lines, one going down to the block and the other a six inch piece with two small bends to the back of the throttle assembly. I can not find that part on any of the online micro fish sites. I cant find it in the Clymer book either. The part connects to the expensive rubber throttle body piece tube with the four inlets. Does anyone happen to know that part number or have any suggestions on replacing it. By the way who ever came up with those cheap, one time use only, fuel clamps, geesh think they could have spared the extra nickel to have the screw type?
max
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom:

try here : http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/k11-crank-vent.shtml

The top of the air cleaner body incorporates an oil separator for the crankcase breather - the little line to the block is the oil return, the one to the throttles is the "vacuum in" and the line from the crankcase breather vent (over by the ignition coils) connects via a hose internally.

HTH

Max Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Dom Cioffi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: thanks Max Reply with quote

thank you, thank you, it hasn't been a fun job, but was needed nevertheless.
acftfliehr
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the line going from the airbox to the injector bodies be blocked off at the throttle bodies, with a cap being placed at the air box end as well?

The line from the airbox to crankcase (where the fuel tank vent hooks up and is capped by many) would still be hooked up.

Has anyone tried this?

Do the throttle boddies need this airflow to operate properly?
max
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acftfliehr wrote:
Can the line going from the airbox to the injector bodies be blocked off at the throttle bodies, with a cap being placed at the air box end as well?

The line from the airbox to crankcase (where the fuel tank vent hooks up and is capped by many) would still be hooked up.

Has anyone tried this?

Do the throttle boddies need this airflow to operate properly?

No - don't do this, the cap at the throttle bodies will be OK but you'll also be capping the only pressure release for blow-by gasses in the crankcase and end up forcing oil out past seals, etc... The engine is designed to have SOME intake vacuum put on the crankcase at all times, even if through this complicated oil separator.

If you don't want to pay $$$ for the hoses, I can also suggest removing the oil separator from the system altogether - it was introduced with the 4valve airbox on the K1, then the K100/1100 4V engines inherited it but strangely they ditched the whole setup on the K1200 and just fed the crankcase breather straight into the throttle-body "runner" (4-way) pipe... that's what I've done here, by swapping the blanking plug from the ignition coli end with the feeder tube from the middle, and feeding the crank vent in at the end (and blocking off the old pipes at the airbox so its still airtight(.
No big diffence - no oiling up, still a light puff of oil smoke on hard revs when cold.

Good luck,

Max

PS: don't cap off the lines from the fuel tank either... one is an overflow/pressure vent from inside the tank, and you want that open & venting down to the road at the least; the other is the rain-drain from the hole up in the surround under the cap, and you want that draining too!! (but it won't be explosive if you drain it out over a hot engine Confused !!)... to tell them apart, blow down the rain drain up by the cap...
acftfliehr
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max,

Thanks for the reply.

Understand on the PCV issue on the crankcase ventilation.

My question is how you have run the hoses.

This is what I understand, maybe....

The rear vent (Old K100 vent to airbox) hook directly to the front comb/fuel tank vent on the front of the engine case.

Hook the throttle body crankcase suction lines to the fuel tank vent on the same fitting,

And as many do, run the fule tank vent aft and down off the L/H side by the foot peg to ambient.

Of course, plug any ambient openings to air box so all incoming air goes thru the filter.

Is the K1200 parts diagrams on this system any clearer than the K1100?

Thanks a lot for your input and help on this crazy issue.

Dave in Livermore, CA
max
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acftfliehr wrote:
Max,

Thanks for the reply.
Understand on the PCV issue on the crankcase ventilation.

My question is how you have run the hoses.

This is what I understand, maybe....
- The rear vent (Old K100 vent to airbox) hook directly to the front comb/fuel tank vent on the front of the engine case.
- Hook the throttle body crankcase suction lines to the fuel tank vent on the same fitting,
- And as many do, run the fule tank vent aft and down off the L/H side by the foot peg to ambient.
- Of course, plug any ambient openings to air box so all incoming air goes thru the filter.

Is the K1200 parts diagrams on this system any clearer than the K1100?

Thanks a lot for your input and help on this crazy issue.
Dave in Livermore, CA

OK:

1) block off the combination oil return/fuel tank vent on the front of the engine case - block it off totally.
2) Modify the the throttle body crankcase suction lines so that the angled take-off point in the center is plugged and the END nearest the main crankcase breather outlet (the old K100 position, "big" one) is the connection point.
3) connect the main outlet with the modified runner - I used some generic hose, it's not high temp/pressurised.
4) block off all the old hosing to the oil separator (old instrument cluster bulbs fit nicely!) so the airbox "clean side" is airtight.

The K1200 diagrams aren't that clear either, but they don't show all the oil separator hoses (and I checked this layout with Allen too, who had been through it on his 1200-engined 1100RS).

Max
acftfliehr
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max,

I finally got it and so simple as well.

Funny, I have some left over bulbs from the Ducks LED upgrade I did a month ago!

Thanks a lot for the help.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: