K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to get your bike serviced (or not)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech Resources & Stickies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GUNTER1100

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have two-
Hansens in Medford Oregon. Been there three times, & was well treated each time. The mechanics are well versed in the art of repair on our out of production models. Had tune ups, get it ready for a long trip checks, & a very stubborn ABS flashing light they got to stop. Would reccomend them.
Second is in Seattle, Ride West. Went to them for about 10 years, last time in 09. Moved to Oregon in 09 & have not been back since then. Was always well treated by the entire staff. Large selection of accessories, & a very comfortable sales floor to relax & browse. Heard they were for sale a few years ago. Don't know if that took place or not.
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two I can recommend.

Hermy's BMW in Port Clinton PA. I have worked with them with my K and my airhead, they are great.

Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg VA. I bought my K bike there, and they did some stuff for me service wise as well. Always were fair and knowledgeable.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
RobBowker
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Garry Webb Reply with quote

hirschhs wrote:
For southern UK:
Garry Webb in Great Holland, Bracknell
has been working on Ks for a very long time. Ex aeronautic engineer and bike racer. He's pretty much a one man operation but a great diagnostician, top quality work and fair pricing. PM me for his number.

Thanks Steve for the recommendation. He's also listed on Sherlock's site. I paid Garry a visit a couple of days ago and he was extremely helpful and generous with his time. He did the sort of pre-purchase exam a sane person would insist on, but I bought the bike a few weeks ago based on a long checklist, gut feeling and weighing up the previous owner. Unfortunately, Garry couldn't really find anything wrong with the bike so I just had to say thanks and ride away with a big smile on my face. I certainly know where to head when I get out of my depth though. Although he works out of 'not on the highstreet' premises, he did say he has a couple of lads who help him out regularly. Meanwhile, loving the K1100!
1981 CX500B (sold)
1981 Honda C70 (sold)
1981 Honda C90 (written off on a gravelly bend!)
1960s BSA Bantam D7 (never did get it running)
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Good morning all…

I should have done this note last summer, but never found the time,,(sorry),,, However, I have to report two bad experiences with Second Wind BMW/Triumph of Milford NH.. The first came when I asked them to replace the "engine output" O-ring,, they completely altered and fukt up the re-installation of the fairing pieces and I have yet to be able to align the pieces properly… although thoroughly "pissed" and time having passed, I thought well OK maybe that was a freak incident since the shop is fully accredited.. so last Spring (early) I asked them to replace the brake pads "all around", replace fork-tube seals, install Gaiters…AND while they were at it, try and repair the damage they had done to my fairing the previous year !

Well the pads got replaced, the gaiters were installed, fork tube seals as well ( I later popped the gaiter bottoms and looked for wet tubes..none)… BUT the fairing still does not fit and perhaps never will, however the real croaker is that one of the speed bleeders was never tightened, so that by the time I got back home ( 70 miles ) going first through 'stop/go' traffic and then high speed highway, there was not enough brake pressure to stop in front of my garage door !

I called of course ( irately ) and was told to bring it in to make things right… to wit… NEVER NEVER EVER again will I trust my 'baby' to this incompetent dealer. Now that I no longer must travel as extensively as before, I intend to buy a bike lift and simply do all my mechanical work ( using K11OG's advice of course ) by MYSELF !

So fellow "K-Bike" lovers… if you find yourself in NH and in trouble, somehow make your way to Affordable Beemers in Manchester NH, and ask a truly honest, competent, knowledgeable person what to do, and then follow his advice. BUT do not under any circumstances including breaking down on their doorstep, allow your precious "K" to find its way into the SECOND WIND service shop !!

Be forewarned and Ride Safe…..// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
RobBowker
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie-NH: I learned a great deal about pre-purchase checks and general K1100 spannering lore from Chris Harris Manchester, NH in your general neck of the woods. He has a bunch of highly entertaining and informative videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/BavarianBomberWrench

A bugbear of his seems to be the ill-fitting replacement of Tupperware by the people at Second Wind BMW!
1981 CX500B (sold)
1981 Honda C70 (sold)
1981 Honda C90 (written off on a gravelly bend!)
1960s BSA Bantam D7 (never did get it running)
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hi Rob….

Thanks for the note and info… Chris is well known here in NH and that is why I referred to him in referencing " Affordable Beemers" the name of his business in Manchester… Even just watching one of his videos, it is very apparent that here is a guy that knows a thing or two, and it would be wise to listen to !! PLUS the colorful vocabulary lend a bit of entertainment to the fun…

Thanks again Rob and you please Ride Safe over there in the UK !!

Very best regards……...// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
beemrdon52
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: 1996 K1100 LT SE clutch change-out at Max BMW, N.H. Reply with quote

I have had nothing but good experiences with Max BMW in North Hampton NH.
Regarding a recent clutch replacement due to fluid contamination, Max mechanic, Zack, discovered a transmission OUTPUT shaft leak that nobody else figured out, including another BMW (hack) mechanic and 2 tries by the PO...(three clutches down the drain). At the same time, they also worked with me to install a USED abs module that I got from fleabay when one of the outlet pipe threaded inlets was too stripped out to use again...what other dealer would install a used part?
I live in the Boston area of Massachusetts and they came with a Mercedes Sprinter and picked up my bike free of charge, delivered it to their shop in N.H....and returned it to me free after the job was finished. Max himself gave me a substantial discount on the clutch job parts and labor after my sob story to the service manager, Mike, about my previous experience with the hack-mechanic who Pucked up the job and would not stand behind his work when the leak started back up again ...I did not ask for any special favors.
The icing on the cake is the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty they gave me on both parts and labor...at any BMW dealer.
BTW, I checked the price quote of Max with 2 other, closer BMW M/C dealers and theirs was by far the least expensive.
I have never had any experiences with any other Max dealership but I assume they are of similar quality.
I will continue to do business with them until they give me a reason not to. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech Resources & Stickies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: