K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motorcycle trip diary 1916
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niemand
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating time capsule find, Gwen. I love the bushy old ferryman bit. I'd love to read about it when you finish the project.

Coincidentally I spent a good chunk of my youth in Berlin and about 6 months near Abingdon during my first (ill-fated) run at college nearby. Embarassed

1994 K1100RS
2023 DR650SE
Shoganai
Biscuit Fluffer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was suggested I consider contacting Indian/Polaris for sponsorship of the ride on the 2016 Indian.

It makes some sense in that he rode a new 1916 in 1916 and I'll could be riding a 2016 in 2016.

That actually has more merit in that I can at the very least BUY a 2016 Indian AND it's MUCH lower maintenance profile will ensure a greater chance of completion.

There are a few goals in this project.

1. FIRST and foremost, tell his story. Contact as many living relatives as possible including those he encountered along the way. Find out ALL I can about who he was and what became of him and maybe his bike.

2. Ride it as exactly as possible using historical maps and the names and waypoints he mentions.

3. Contrast and compare the changes in the places, roads, motorcycles and the ride it's self. Also look at how little has actually changed about traveling by m/c from the events that took place to how society see us and how other riders treat each other.

So my current plan is to focus ALL my energy on research for the next 12 months. Then 12 months out from the start, I'll approach Indian. If they will not sponcer me, I'll just buy one.

Research will include riding to and from all the towns and locations including local historical societies, genealogy digging, visiting relatives and getting my hands on real old maps.

No more LD riding.
No m/c rallies or group rides of any kind save Hungry Mother and the Classic K Campout.

I posted earlier about my struggle with riding. I have been contemplating selling my bike and every last bit of motorcycle parts and pieces and what didn't sell, I'd give away or throw away.

I was prepared to walk away for life and never look over my shoulder.

My husband and I have had a few conversations about this issue and what I'm dealing with. He understands he has some things he needs to work through. I understand I need to give him some room to do so.

This project is my salvation.
It may help me found a way out this dark place.

It may save me as a rider.

Ride it like you stole it!
After you wrench it like you broke it.
- Shogs
Culpeper, VA

FUEL: The ONLY time you have too much is when you're on fire.

The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there.
So slip the chain and I'm off again,
You'll find me everywhere. I'm a Rover. - JT

Nana korobi ya oki
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to ride a racist motorcycle?

(Just yankin' your chain...)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: