K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cruise control: CCS-100 vs. Rostra 250-1223

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Cruise control: CCS-100 vs. Rostra 250-1223 Reply with quote

Having done numerous Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control installs on K bikes, last year I found a Rostra 250-1223 unit on FleaBay with free shipping with a $99 Buy-It-Now price and decided to give that a whirl on a recently acquired K75. Now that I have a few thousand miles on the electronic cruise control, I’m of the opinion that the CCS-100 is definitely superior.

Here’s why:

After some fiddling with the DIP switches on the Rostra, I was able to get it to keep from surging below the 70-75 MPH range which is where most of my riding occurs in Washington. However, when I set it for 78-79 MPH for sections of I-5 with a 70 MPH speed limit, it gets up the power curve of the K75 and noticeably surges more than the CCS-100.

The 250-1223 also sometimes lets the speed drop a lot more then the CCS-100 before kicking in.

On the whole, I find the CCS-100 to be a much smoother and less obtrusive cruise control. In a digital vs. analog world, sometimes analog is better. (Yes, I know both are controlled by digital circuit boards. I’m referring to the power supply for the servo cable which is electronic on the 250-1223 and vacuum on the CCS-100.)

Another minor issue where I prefer the CCS-100 is that the CCS-100 allows me to use either the up or down switch for the initial set whereas only the down switch can be used to set the 250-1223.

That said, the 250-1223 does work and does do its job of keeping me at 8-9 over to avoid getting tickets. And the engaged indicator output hooked up to an LED in the cluster is nice for visual confirmation.

The foibles of the 250-1223 are not so extreme that I’ll remove it and replace it with a CCS-100 but if I had it to do over again then I would definitely opt for a CCS-100 on that bike and that’s what I’ll use on any future CC installs.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
exavid
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Rostra in a '90 Dodge Diesel I had a few years ago, the rack needed a pretty strong pull and a vacuum CC I had just wouldn't pull the throttle enough on hills. The Rostra was reasonably easy to install although it also took me a lot of fiddling to get all the adjustments cranked in. Once I did it did a good job. I had a bit of a problem also with the unit allowing the speed to drop on up hills but eventually with enough fiddling I got it dialed in. Unfortunately I couldn't tell anyone what was the final adjustment that did the trick because I was to the point of cranking more than one around at a time.

Molon Labe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: