K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First post - Lessons learned

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob_VT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: First post - Lessons learned Reply with quote

Picked up a 93 K1100LT with 56K miles last week. I needed to be back on a bike again and had been w/o one for 10 years.

Thankfully I am comfortable working on ANYTHING with a motor. I used to repair motorcycles, ATV's and snowmobiles so I am no stranger doing things the right way.

Lessons Learned so far......

NEVER believe the previous owner! I was told the battery hold down was a bit loose..... That actually translates to ....there is a piece of cardboard over the battery and none of the screws that were cross threaded in (all) were even metric. Nothing tied in - that set the stage for no more surprises.

All of the allen heads that hold the footpegs on were VERY loose and as a matter of fact nothing was tight.

The seat latch is not just an adjustment but a replacement with a piece that is not broken.

The radio code was obtained by a few phone calls. One to a dealer here in VT who told me I was screwed and it was not available because BMW does not keep records..... The other calls were to Max BMW who asked for a copy of my lic and reg and in less then a day I got the radio code!

I ordered and replaced the clutch adjuster.

My list of needs is growing-
The front master cylinder is leaking and someone actually had stuffed a pieces of rag inside the control!!! I HATE hacks! I ordered the rebuild kit today.

The radio handlebar control is not working, the right side speaker does not work and I am determined to get it all right.

The majority of my time has been reading posts and learning. Dam I wish I had the internet when I was rebuilding motorcycles in the early 70's in Germany.

I will continue to learn thanks to the information available here and my repair motto is "do it right the first time"

If you recognize the name I use...... then you might be addicted to boating Smile
Don Sproule
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, sailor.
I used a Sharpie marker to write the radio code inside the hatch cover so I won't have to ever hunt for it. Neither will the next owner.
You may find the speaker is blown. Common problem with them. People turn the bass up full and then turn the radio up full so they can hear it at speed.
BMW also seemed to be trying to save money by not making wires too long.
It may just be disconnected. I had to extend my speaker wires to cut back on cursing the marque.

Don
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

WELCOME!!

I am east of you- here in N.H. Let me know if I can help you with your brick.

Also, maybe we can get together next year for a ride or two?

Please stay in touch on the K11OG forum. And PM me if you want- I am on the forum daily.

John

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Bob_VT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Sproule wrote:
Welcome aboard, sailor.
I used a Sharpie marker to write the radio code inside the hatch cover so I won't have to ever hunt for it. Neither will the next owner.
Don

Actually I am a retired Soldier after 20 years of active duty Wink Just a soldier addicted to boats!

Yes the first thing I did was write that number on the radio and in the owner's manual.

Great a neighbor in NH Smile

Just to be clear....... this K had 3 previous owner's with the last one only being a few months. I am sure that some of the previous owner's were meticulous with maintenance so I really can not categorize all of them as hacks .......but there were some in there.
nickw
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Radio issues Reply with quote

I have a 93 LT that i took the radio out of. IF you find that you need any original bits to repair yours, let me know I will sell them or the whole setup quite reasonably ($50) to anyone who will use it.

Nick W
65 Triumph TR6S/C ( sold)
2009 Suzuki SV650
2009 Suzuki DL650
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rule of buying used vehicles: Regardless of what a seller tells you, assume the everything on it is f'd up. Be thankful for the things that do work, fix the stuff that doesn't and move on.

And welcome to K11OG.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: