K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil analyzer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Oil analyzer Reply with quote

Not starting an oil thread - let's not go there...

I've been waiting for this product to come to market. Now it's here - I'm ordering. http://lubricheck.com/home

Some vehicles now come with a sensor based on mileage - this device goes beyond that.

Has smart phone apps to help keep track of the condition of oil and oil change intervals in different vehicles.

Hopefully, this device will put an end to oily threads...
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
RAL88
Flying Brick Rider

Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

How's it going?

I looked around and couldn't find any real reviews of this. It seems that the Oilyzer which went belly up was made by these guys and they have modified it and reserected it as the lubricheck.

From what I was able to garnish from info on other sites it works on the same principle that BMW cars use to check the engine oil which is checking the acidity of the oil.

I will need to see some real reviews before I would get one.

An end to oil threads. Now what fun is there in that.

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R
Number 6
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I constantly add new oil to my bike, what's the point of an oil change? Laughing

94 K1100LT
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 20W-50........

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mid-summer heat, I start replacing burned off oil with 40w and 50w.

I still burn some off while riding, but less than if I ran 10w-40 year 'round.

But this oil analyzer looks good for the rest of my fleet, 2 wheels or 4.

The new Chevy 3/4 ton crew cab we bought this summer has that oil analyzer built in. It reports the results on start up 2 or 3 times each week.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil analyzer Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
Some vehicles now come with a sensor based on mileage - this device goes beyond that.

Hopefully, this device will put an end to oily threads...

Jim,
Please do report back with your experience with this device

I have a sensor in my car (Acura TL) but was unable to identify the underlying technology. I've changed oil when it told me. It was between 6 to 7K miles each time (car now has 100K on it) so honestly I did not have much use of the sensor technology. I have recently switched to Mobil 1 synthetic 15Kmi rated oil and plan to change oil in my car once a year ...... just like I do on my K1100LT.

Simplifies my life to change oil on all my vehicles at the same time once a year. Bye Bye oil threads Smile

Sanjiv
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonu,

This thing checks the acidity and alkalinity of the oil. I know that some vehicles have similar sensors, but some are based solely on mileage.

These guys claim that some people have actually gone up to 15,000 before changing the oil, while still remaining in warranty.

I ordered - I'll let you know what I figure out.

I have three vehicles - the K, a '99 S-10, and a '00 Honda Insight. I'll be checking all three - and I'll definitely report here.

Now I have four - added a '11 Forester to the fleet...
1992 K75RTP 46,000

RAL88
Flying Brick Rider

Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I didn't need more reviews to buy one. Thanks Jim for dangling this little bit of irresistable tech in front of me. Though really if it does what it says it will do it will pay for itself pretty quick.

I got it two weeks ago and it is easy to use.

I already use mobile 1 in all my vehicles and have been for years.

The bars that light up to tell you what condition your oil is in go from 1 to 10. 1 to 7 - Good, 8 & 9 - Fair and your engine is in big trouble at 10.

I had just changed the oil in my Mercury and when I tested it it showed 1 bar. I would have been surprised if it showed higher.

I tested my truck which I had put ~7500 miles on since the last change and it showed 4 bars. If it is accurate and it really shows the degradation of the oil and its additives I can save a lot of money.

I want to do some more testing with it and I want to try it on the bikes but how the hell do you get oil (3 drops) out of a K or Boxer without undoing the oil drain plug.

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R
BMGraeme
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could put some tubing onto a syringe and poke that down the filler hole.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I have used a small diameter flex hose, snaked down through the oil fill plug. Finger over the open end and pull it out of the engine.

Used this once when I overfilled the engine (don't ask....)

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAL88 wrote:

I want to do some more testing with it

Hey Rich/Jim,

Can this be used for transmission oil as well or is it designed for engine oil only?

Nevermind.... Just checked their website & they claim that it is *NOT* designed for tranny oil. However, given the technology (essentially an alkalinty reserve measurement) I'd be curious to compare fresh tranny oil with used tranny oil.

Sanjiv
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine - but haven't had a chance to play with it yet... Couldn't you stick almost anything in the oil fill with the K on the centre stand and get a drop or two of oil out?

I've been meaning to call the guys and ask them if rubbing alcohol would be a good cleaner for the sensor. I guess if it doesn't degrade ABS plastic, it would be.

RAL88 wrote:
Ok, so I didn't need more reviews to buy one. Thanks Jim for dangling this little bit of irresistable tech in front of me. Though really if it does what it says it will do it will pay for itself pretty quick.

I got it two weeks ago and it is easy to use.

I already use mobile 1 in all my vehicles and have been for years.

The bars that light up to tell you what condition your oil is in go from 1 to 10. 1 to 7 - Good, 8 & 9 - Fair and your engine is in big trouble at 10.

I had just changed the oil in my Mercury and when I tested it it showed 1 bar. I would have been surprised if it showed higher.

I tested my truck which I had put ~7500 miles on since the last change and it showed 4 bars. If it is accurate and it really shows the degradation of the oil and its additives I can save a lot of money.

I want to do some more testing with it and I want to try it on the bikes but how the hell do you get oil (3 drops) out of a K or Boxer without undoing the oil drain plug.

1992 K75RTP 46,000

drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't see from their website where it said anything about alkalinity but then I'm pretty stupid.

I did see however it measured resistivity ie how much metal there was in the oil.

A mate of mine has a company http://www.oiltest.com.au/ and he was not too complementary about it. But then he analyses the oil out of mining company equipment and can often tell them exactly which bearing or gears were about to go pop by figuring out exactly which metals were in the oil. The machinery companies keep him updated with all the internal components of the engine and transmissions. They also test for pollutants, combustion chamber leakages etc.

A domestic one will never give this sort of detail, but may be a good indicator of upcoming issues. I'm not sure it will tell you when the oil molecules are breaking down though which is part of the determination of when to change it.

Personally I just change the oil too often and make sure I pour the used oil in the local creek preferably down a platypus nest hole if I can find one.......fortunately the creek flows out to the sea and the pelicans very helpfully fly it away in their feathers so no problem. After all the solution to pollution is dilution.

Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drikko wrote:
I couldn't see from their website where it said anything about alkalinity

Hi Drikko,
Here's a quote from their FAQ page
What is a TBN and TAN number?

Simply, the TBN is the 'Total Base Number', and indicates the amount of “alkalinity" in the oil.

My interpretation: They are measuring the "buffering" capacity of the oil. While the oil is buffered the pH is stable. Once buffer runs out then pH goes acidic & starts to "eat" the engine.

Similar concept applies to aquariums and ponds where carbonate hardness is monitored to keep from pH crashes which wipes out fish. I know coz.... I built a 3000 gallon pond in my backyard

-s-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: