K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hungry Drop Bear 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looks like HDB1 was stillborn, with CK dropping out because he upset the missus somehow, I headed off alone on Saturday morning.

The Lav club was having a get together at Bellingen (about halfway to Sydney) then I was heading on to GP from there this week, however I took a faceplant from an electric powered mountain bike, not wearing ATGATT of course (DOH!) spent 3 nights in Coffs Harbour Hospital. If you look closely at my left knee in the pic you'll see quite a large gash, it had half a metre of gravel in it and required 15 stitches under a General Anesthetic. Face looked like it had been attacked by an angle grinder!

Am home now feeling mostly stupid and a bit sore, particularly feeling stupid as I am always preaching ATGATT! But it wasn't really a motorbike and I'd only had a few beers so what could possibly go wrong????

You can see Rod Yeomans (occasional lurker here) in the background proffering sound advice, "call an ambulance", 2 hours later it arrived and dragged me away. Wouldn't want to have a heart attack out there!

So I'll be watching the Moto GP at Phillip Island this weekend from the comfort of my couch with few coldies instead of standing in the freezing rain they always get on race day....sigh.

LESSON LEARNT THE HARD WAY. Feel free to guffhaw etc, mind you it reinforces ATGATT considering I wasn't going very fast at all, no more than 10mph at the time!

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
robleyd
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing you had a few beers under the belt or that would have hurt Shocked

Hope you get over that with the minimum of fuss.
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's all getting better, can get around without the crutches already. I asked the surgeon if he could stitch the knee up with it bent at right angles so I could ride the bike home, he just looked at me with a "how about I just send you home now" look hahahaha Laughing Laughing Laughing

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

Oscar Wilde
CerebralKnievel
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's me thinking i was a bit of tool for the " traffic infringement "
that has led me to give my licence " a bit of a rest " , leading to my absence from this trip .....
All i have is a fine to remind me of my stupidity , you sir will have some
very impressive scars !!!!
On the other side of the coin, if i'd have come along it may very well have been me Shocked

Any idea if Chris from the BM shop has gone down again this year ?
I cracked my left side crash bar the other day when i wasn't riding my bike Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CerebralKnievel wrote:

Any idea if Chris from the BM shop has gone down again this year ?
I cracked my left side crash bar the other day when i wasn't riding my bike Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

No idea, but it's rare that he doesn't. There will be someone there anyway, and you'll get in and out quicker by not getting into an extended conversation with Chris hahaha Smile Man that guy can talk Smile

Oscar Wilde
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad !!

Man-o-man Drikko !!

That looks like a painful spot to have been in. In hind-sight I know accidents are always explainable and avoidable, but in those few microsecnds while its happening there is nothing one can do. Glad your back on the sofa and NOT in a box ! I'll have a 'coldie' or two in your honor today and hope that everything, including pride, mends quickly !!

All the best...........// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pile-up drikko.

So you aren't going to see Stoner off on his last (bike) race at P.I.?

They are to name turn 3 "the Stoner corner" this weekend.

To be so good that he can retire from MotoGP at 27.

Anyway, I'm sure that you have plenty of anesthesia around the house to dull your pain and the race weekend sounds like a frog strangler anyhow.

Heal up quick.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ernie, I can't even have a coldie with drugs I'm on at the moment, hopefully I won't need them by Sunday for the GP on TV.

John, unfortunately no I won't see Stoners last PI race which was the whole idea, ah well "such is life" as Ned Kelly allegedly said just before being hung....

So the guys I was going to be riding the rest of the way with sent me this loverly picture from the top of Mt Buller this morning, there's some incredible roads up there. Now how good do you think that makes me feel.....gggggrrrrrrrrr Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Looks like a great day...

Oscar Wilde
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone having dinner?

Oscar Wilde
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMMMMM- looks like some good raw meat. Where's the BBQ?

How good did that feel when they scrubbed the grit out from under the skin?

(Been there, done that.)

Hope you heal fast w/o infection.

'04 K1200GT
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
MMMMMMM- looks like some good raw meat. Where's the BBQ?

How good did that feel when they scrubbed the grit out from under the skin?

(Been there, done that.)

Hope you heal fast w/o infection.

I asked for and got a general anasthetic. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain hahaha Laughing Laughing Laughing

So while you folks are debating the possibility of a public health system, total cost to me of a 2 hour ambulance ride, 2 nights in hospital, surgery including GA, nursing including painkillers dressing etc etc, a set of crutches, a bag full of pills and bandages to take away?

$28 for the crutches is all, not a single cent more. I actually have private health insurance but they never asked for it as the public hospitals are free. Must be why we pay a bit more tax I guess, but that's a good thing I reckon. Everyone gets fixed.

Oscar Wilde
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many folks here in the U.S. are scared to death (no pun intended) of any sort of socialized health care.

Rumors abound that committees will determine whether some people will be given care while others will just be allowed to die or even be euthanized.

Many think that it would be the start of the road to ruin for the entire country. At least your country seems to have a much better handle on it.

But then you don't have the American Medical Association fighting full time against free health care.

OK, I'll get off my pulpit now......................... Rolling Eyes before I move this to the dungeon. Laughing Shocked

'04 K1200GT
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after 3 weeks getting the gravel rash fixed the knee has been getting progressively sorer and swollen as it gets more mobile, the quack was worried about it so sent me for xrays this afternoon, it appears the patella has a fracture in it after all gggrrrrrr, not sure what that means as far as recovery goes, will find out Monday. Better be better before the CLQ xmas party!

FUCK FUCKETY FUCK!!!!! Argy might be getting an extended holiday in Bellingen!

Bloody pushbikes...... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Oscar Wilde
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused !!

Hi John...

I know this thread is NOT about Socialized Medicine,,, BUT I have heard what you refer to over and over and over here in the USA, plus I hear Americans say " We have the best health care system in the world !!".... I can only say to this,, and then I'll just shut up,, that more than half of my life I have relied and used the German health care system,, and the most recent half I am exposed to the American health care system.. Knowing what I know of both, if I ever get sick and hope not to die in poverty I will get the first flight back to my home in the Odenwald.! I truly think that the American health care system, as it currently exists , driven by lawyers, pharmaceutial companies, and Washingtom lobbyists, simply SUCKS to the n-th degree !

Arggghhhhhh !!...........// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far this whole exercise has cost me about $180, this includes the 2 nights and surgery in the hospital, medicines including 3 weeks of antibiotics, xrays on the knee yesterday, 6 visits to the doctor/nurse including dressings for the wound each visit, they do a much better job than I can hope to do....

If I need a CT scan on Monday after the doc sees the xrays then that will be bulk billed ie cost me nothing.

I am yet to take my Bupa Health insurance card out of my wallet, which my US employer insists on giving me. I tried to swap it for the income but no it's company policy to have full health insurance no matter which country we live in, but I never use it.

Now if I fell over and had a heart attack or got cancer then I suspect the private health insurance would be welcome but for injury stuff like this it's not needed!

Oscar Wilde
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like my patella tendon is totally FUBAR, so no fractures, the ulrasound showed haemtoma or something like that around it, tearing of the tendon and injury caused calcium deposits. Off to do an MRI tomorrow and the orthopaedic sturgeon next week. DAMMIT!!!!

Meanwhile a good friend died the other day, been to the funeral just now so I'm off to his wake at the Samford Pub and will break my drought. Gonna be a long slow walk down tho'!!

RIP Boz :thumb:> :thumb:>

Oscar Wilde
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS!!! So MRI shows the patella tendon is 75% torn, Orthopedic Surgeon says get the fuck off it and stop bending it for minimum 2 weeks so its crutches and brace for 2 weeks minimum AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

The alternative ie breaking it all the way through is a lot worse though. Such is life.... Won't be riding bikes for some time yet gggrrr..........not without some highway pegs at least....

Oscar Wilde
Steven B
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drikko

Just read this post, sorry you took a spill.... damn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Meetings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: