K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karlos11
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Avon Storm 2 Ultra Reply with quote

A new topic to share impressions about these tires.

I bought mines in the standard measures for the K11 RS, to replace a front Bridgestone BT016 and a (well used) rear Metzeler Z6 Roadtec.

First impression on the Avon's: they provide a very confortable and smooth ride, and allow great leaning angles. I feel much more confident in curves. Seems that the front suspension was renewed! The bike glides through the road and leans without any effort.

I rode the first kilometers in the rain with the tire wax still on, but they did well. Further rides are required to confirm the positive impresson.

One note: the new tires put an end to some handlebar vibrations that appeared between 45 and 50 mph. The front began to wobble, specially if I was only gripping the accelerator. Now, the K is perfectly stable.

Finally, the price. I bought the Avon's for $65 less than the Metzeler's. They're softer. Let's see if the difference is worth while, durability wise.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos,

This entry is part tech, part product review and part campfire.

Last December in the "for sale" section I bought a second set of wheels from Dave N. He had them powder-coated gloss black and I couldn't resist- Hey, thanks Dave!

So today I showed our 21 y.o. son (the Ducati rider) how to mount and balance motorcycle tires on those spare wheels. He was pretty interested and was being very precise with the balance- he never was interested at all in the past.

So now the tires are mounted but leaning against the garage wall. Should have them on the bike by Friday. If scheduling and weather permits he and I will ride for a few hours later on Friday. Pictures and my impression will hopefully follow.

John

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Karlos11
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I'm looking forward to reading (and seeing) your impressions.

My 'campfire' entry is that I myself watched my friend change tires and balance the wheels with the Avon's. He uses a fairly simple system that, basically, lets gravity do the job. For me it's still kind of a science. Smile
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos,

Finally have the "new" wheels and Avon tires on the bike- actually I have nearly 600km on them.

Yesterday was the first wet ride so I now have some distance on them wet and dry.

BFD with black wheels- ya' see this OTG??

Having gone through several sets of Michelin PR2 tires over the past 4 years, Ultra Storm 2 tires feel different to me in how they transition from upright to on the side for cornering- even more so when going from one side to the other. They seem to do it with less effort than the Michelins.
Of course I am comparing them to the PR2s that I just took off which were about 2/3 worn. How they would feel compared to new PR2s? Don't know.
But so far they felt very good and sticky in the wet and maybe(?) feel softer over rough roads- which we have plenty of.

Further input will be posted "down the road".

'04 K1200GT
Jeeves
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Carlos,

Finally have the "new" wheels and Avon tires on the bike- actually I have nearly 600km on them.

Yesterday was the first wet ride so I now have some distance on them wet and dry.

BFD with black wheels- ya' see this OTG??

Having gone through several sets of Michelin PR2 tires over the past 4 years, Ultra Storm 2 tires feel different to me in how they transition from upright to on the side for cornering- even more so when going from one side to the other. They seem to do it with less effort than the Michelins.
Of course I am comparing them to the PR2s that I just took off which were about 2/3 worn. How they would feel compared to new PR2s? Don't know.
But so far they felt very good and sticky in the wet and maybe(?) feel softer over rough roads- which we have plenty of.

Further input will be posted "down the road".
can you see the reflection on the wheel at about 5 o'clock? looks kinda gold,,,nice Very Happy
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeves wrote:
can you see the reflection on the wheel at about 5 o'clock? looks kinda gold,,,nice Very Happy

Been there, done that. Gold? That is soooo yesterday Laughing

(picture of our old K-RS)

BFD + BWs

'04 K1200GT
Jeeves
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Jeeves wrote:

Been there, done that. Gold? That is soooo yesterday Laughing

(picture of our old K-RS)

BFD + BWs
by the way congrats on the distance award for the beemer Very Happy
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

??????

'04 K1200GT
Jeeves
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
??????
didn't you get an award for 100.000 clicks on your rs??
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven B is your man (AND woman) with the award.

'04 K1200GT
Jeeves
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Steven B is your man (AND woman) with the award.
well then i'll have to award you some other award then,,,do you like smoked salmon??
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hope you're not a hockey fan.

Anyway- the Avons feel just a good 2-up. We'll see how long they last.

'04 K1200GT
Jeeves
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Just hope you're not a hockey fan.

Anyway- the Avons feel just a good 2-up. We'll see how long they last.
not a hockey fan anymore,,,i just put a z6 on the front of my bike as to match the back,,it had a bridgestone on the front that was "paddled" and so out it went,,seems to handle nicely,,one up and sometimes the grandson on the back and he's only 11 but a good sized kid
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Avon Storm 2 Ultra Reply with quote

Karlos11 wrote:
First impression on the Avon's: they provide a very confortable and smooth ride, and allow great leaning angles. I feel much more confident in curves. Seems that the front suspension was renewed! The bike glides through the road and leans without any effort.

I rode the first kilometers in the rain with the tire wax still on, but they did well. Further rides are required to confirm the positive impresson.

Carlos,

So your experience seems in line with my own- "leans without effort" is a good way of explaining it. (but again is some of it going from somewhat worn tires to new?)

Karlos11 wrote:
One note: the new tires put an end to some handlebar vibrations that appeared between 45 and 50 mph. The front began to wobble, specially if I was only gripping the accelerator. Now, the K is perfectly stable.

I haven't noticed any change in front end behavior, but I hadn't sensed any before the tire change. Vibration in general is a bit more on this bike ('92 K100RS) vs. my old brick ('93 K1100RS) but that has been discussed on this forum before- each K engine has its own character.

Karlos11 wrote:
......They're softer. Let's see if the difference is worth while, durability wise.

Within reason I have always gone with a softer tire if available. I do not mind changing rubber a bit more often to gain "bite". But as you say we will have to see about durability. Hopefully the Avons will last for the remainder of our riding season which ends here sometime between October and (possibly) December.

But so far, so good. Very Happy

John

'04 K1200GT
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeves,

I think I moved the "vibration" part of this thread over to the Tech forum. (my first time doing it Shocked )

John

'04 K1200GT
Karlos11
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Avon Storm 2 Ultra Reply with quote

Hi John.
Sorry, only now did I see your first Avon impressions.

Yes, they're pretty much in line. Very good grip and handling, more confort. I'm happy and impressed.

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Karlos11 wrote:

I haven't noticed any change in front end behavior, but I hadn't sensed any before the tire change. (...)

Well, I can actually explain the vibrations that I felt with the previous tires. When I put the front BT016, the rear Metzeler had already some wear specially in the left side. In this case, new + old together didn't produce a good result. The front end wobbled since then. Now it's finally over.

Now, let's ride and see. I too have less than 1000 km with the Avon's.

P.S: Nice red K you had there, John. Now, those black wheels... niiiice!
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos,

I am able to give a better impression on the Avons.

Just passed 10,000km and I really like them

We have done a fair share of loaded 2-up this year and last Saturday we did a fast, twisty 350km with the "New England Riders" group.
Tires stuck very well in less than optimal conditions- the ride took place in northeastern New York which is still recovering from the effects of the hurricane. Dirt and debris in various places but no problems 2-up.

Wear seems to be less than what I have experienced with Michelin PR2s. At 10,000km there is no evidence of the typical front tire wear and the rear is just starting to wear in the center.

We will see how much distance I get out of this pair, but so far I would be more inclined to replace them with another set of Storms than go back to the popular Michelins.

How are yours?

John

'04 K1200GT
Karlos11
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Mine are also doing fine. I've put a little more than 5,000 kilometers on them and only have good things to say.

The grip is very good. I can't remember feeling this confident doing pretty closed corners when I mounted the initial set of tyres (Metzelers Z6). Avon's never failed me and really "grab" the road.

As far as the wear is concerned, it's quite even so far. The tyres are pretty much new. I do mostly straight roads and one-up, commuting at cruising speeds. It's still early to tell, I know, but it's a good sign.

I'm very satisfied with the Avon's. And - funny - just a few days ago I was thinking exactly what you wrote: when my K needs new tyres, Ultra Storm 2's will most likely be the strongest candidates.

Thanks for sharing, John.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: