K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel tank capacity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Fuel tank capacity Reply with quote

I've never put more than 18 litres into the tank. Now considering the manual says 21 litres, where are the other 3? I mostly fill up on the sidestand so there's a little bit of air still but not 3 litres!

Is the factory figure optimistic? I couldn't see any fuel through the cap opening the other day when I thought I was going to run out, and the fuel pump was complaining loudly! But still it only took 18 litres Confused Confused

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drikko,

Is the flapper still in the filler neck? Removing it will allow more fuel into the tank.

The K100RS I bought last year had the flapper removed but the P.O. had left the narrowed opening attached to the tank. Both are now gone.

I have also noticed that while the fuel pump will protest, there is a considerable amount of fuel left even when the gauge reads empty.

I always fill up while on the centerstand.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Inge K.
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most I have been able to put into the tank is 20,41 L (on the centerstand), and then the tank was so empty that I had to push the bike the last 50 meters into the filling station.

Happily enough this also was on the autobahn in Germany, where you getting a ticket if you are caught running dry along the road. (the bike did start starving for fuel about 10-12 km before the gas station).

Inge K.
miKeinWIs
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drikko,
My 2c:
Just made an 800 mi round trip to see relatives. Refilled right about 160 mi each time. I fill on the side usually also--when there are a lot of gas stations. Pretty much 3.3/3.4 gals/ fill. Decided I needed to adjust the rear shock (Works) lever so pulled it up on the Center stand. Firmly believe I got .2gal more than side stand. .2 gal is maybe a litre?? So there is some gain. Perhaps a bit more.
Not scientific but question is how much do you keep filling before it actually hits the over flow?? Haven't felt like finding out! Seems like with the "hump" there is more space there than you think. Tenths of gal (Litres) and $$ go quick near the top.
I have emptied the tank for maintenance but never got an accurate fill measure.
Mike
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Fill er up! Reply with quote

I performed the flapenctomy to my 93 RS.

General around town riding / road blasting to & from work generally nets me around 42 MPG and the fule level low red light go's on at 175 to 180 miles on the odometer.
I fill on the center stand and almost never leave the bike on the side stand. Takes 4.3 gallons this way.
I fill from the left side of bike. Run the level up to that tank lip. Then depending upon how well the pump flow can be modulated, I can put the nozzel just into the gas and get three to four more squeezes of the handle. The auto cut off kills the flow, but I get a good squirt in. The gas level comes up in the well about half way or a bit more, but then quickly settles down to level.
Out on the road, if the riding is slow & steady, say 70 MPH and not much more I have seen this mileage run up to 48-49 MPG and I can run 200 miles easy on the tank.
I know I should stop more, but sometimes I'd really like another gallon of saftey on that tank capacity.
I may add a gas bottle for trips JIC I ever need it, but that brings up all sorts of other issues.
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.3 gallons is only 16.77 litres! So you can probably go a lot further than you think!

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

Oscar Wilde
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out riding today and the low fuel level light came on at 167 miles (269 km) and then I went another 3 miles to a station, so 170 total. It took only 3.615 US gallons (13.68 liters) to fill it up. Still have flap, but used a similar technique as jpberens to get as much in as possible.

But theoretically there was still 2.3 +/- gallons (8.7 liters) still in there when I filled up? That would give me range of 278 miles to empty? I doubt it, but have never tested it.

From the manual:
Fuel tank
Tank capacity l (Imp.gal) 22 (4.84)
incl. reserve capacity l (Imp.gal) 5 (1.1)

FYI 5 Imperial gallons equals 6 US gallons! (according to conversion calculators)

Avg. MPG for the fill was 47 miles per gallon which would translate into 282 miles on a full tank. Something is not adding up here.... (and it's probably me!)
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
lee richter
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1994 K1100Lt. I have removed the Flapper. Bone dry to just above the Air Space Retainer, the piece the flapper attaches to is 5.08 US Gal.
It was on a trailer, not on either stand after I had the tank off and cleaned it out. It will go about 200 miles before the pump starts protesting loudly. Usually will take just over 4 US Gal. It clocks 45 to a best of 52 miles per Gal. There is no way that this tank would take more than 5 US Gal with the flapper in place. I have a friend that has a '97 SE that has an aluminum ring under the fuel cap that holds the cap up about an inch. His bike will take about .1 US Gal more than mine and will clock nearly identical mileage when we ride together. I have installed Professor Ducks Cruise control on both bikes, worth ten times the $85.00 cost of the kit. I have timed both bikes and balanced the throttle bodies. Engines have an Idle diffidence of 40-60 RPM measured with an electronic tach. I have about twice the millage on mine as he has.
182 Texas Tail Dragger
'39 J3 Cub
2000 HD Soft Tail Sold
2002 R1150R
1994 K1100LT
Tim (Midland Section)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do similar to Mr Berens, I sit on the bike whilst filling right to the top (above the seal ring) shake my butt, air bubbles & level drops, can do this 3 times. I only do this if I am going to do 20 miles or more immediately, as it pisses out the overflow if left in the sun. TOO expensive to waste here in Limeyland. Have had 240 UK miles from a tank of German petrol. Usually get 180 -200 dependant upon mood. UK bikes don't have a flapper. Have put in 22 litres but the pump was wailing like a banshee, as was SWMBO. I think the tank is 23 Litres before they fill it with hardware. Also even if it looks empty, there is still petrol below the false bottom.

Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1996 Guzzi Cali3 LAPD
1972 750 Commando
G6HRN
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Hi guys...

Would like to make a contribution to this chaos or confusion... Data from today's ride from Newfound Lake in New Hampshire to Portland Maine. ( 94.6 miles one way )

First, I dont have the 'flapper' installed either and I always fill with the bike full upright. Today I let the tank gage drop to 'one quarter full' which is just one notch above the red-zone ( correct ?) At that point I had travelled 182 US Miles ( ie: not Irish miles ) and with the bike again full upright, I filled to the bottom of the 'funnel' where the flapper would normally sit. This is the reference I use EVERY time, even though I know it would hold a smidgeon more. At this point the tank took 3.81 USGallons 93 Octane (with 15% ethanol as stated on the pump ) At today's temperature ( 81 to 83 degF ) and driving conditions, I think I could easily have surpassed 200 miles before I would have had to limp into the nearest filling station..

So thats my input re the tank volume... so if my 'math' is right I should have a useable tank volume of 5.06 USGallons... What say, right or wrong ?

Best regards.....// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
lee richter
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say your fuel tank and my fuel tank are twin brothers.
182 Texas Tail Dragger
'39 J3 Cub
2000 HD Soft Tail Sold
2002 R1150R
1994 K1100LT
Shoganai
Biscuit Fluffer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie-NH wrote:
So thats my input re the tank volume... so if my 'math' is right I should have a useable tank volume of 5.06 USGallons... What say, right or wrong ?

Best regards.....// Ernie in NH

I have proof you are right. I'll post the pic in the am when I get home.

The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there.
So slip the chain and I'm off again,
You'll find me everywhere. I'm a Rover. - JT

Nana korobi ya oki
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does "incl. reserve capacity l (Imp.gal) 5 (1.1) " actually mean when there's no reserve tap thingy?

The Laverda has a reserve, ie you have to turn the 2 fuel taps the other way, it gets you a whole 11 miles........!

Oscar Wilde
Phil Marvin
Rider in the Sky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Drikko,
It means that when the "low fuel" light comes on, you have 5 litres of fuel left in the tank. I've had the light come on many times, but have never tried to see if there were really 5 litres of usable fuel left in the tank. If I believed the 5 litres, I should ba able to get 50+ miles (80+ km) on the 5 litre reserve. I have gotten over 30 miles (50 km), but haven't tried for more.
'95 K75RTP
Number 6
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I ride 300 km and fill around 19 liters of gas. Last friday, I wanted to have the tank as empty as possible and ended up being out of gas at 340 km, that's coherent with 21 liters.

94 K1100LT
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we did the IB1600, one stretch with no fuel stops available was 340k, I managed to get there by cruising steadily at 110kph, but I still don't remember having to put more than 18 litres in although I could be wrong, my memory isn't that good.

Oscar Wilde
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two times I've run out, I was traveling long distance interstate, pulling the UniGo. I ran out at 239 miles / 384.6 km and 240 miles / 386.2 km respectively. Unfortunately, I don't remember how much it took to fill the tank either time.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Shoganai
Biscuit Fluffer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here it is.

This is how much it can hold if you remove the filler neck and run out just as you pull into the station.

I wouldn't recommend the part about pushing your luck as hard as I did going across the Great Salt Lake basin tho. Shocked

The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there.
So slip the chain and I'm off again,
You'll find me everywhere. I'm a Rover. - JT

Nana korobi ya oki
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hi Shogs.....

Pretty close to my "off hand" calculation...eh? Glad you didnt have to push or 'duck walk' your K that last few meters..!

Best regards........// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoganai wrote:
Ok, here it is.

This is how much it can hold if you remove the filler neck and run out just as you pull into the station.

I wouldn't recommend the part about pushing your luck as hard as I did going across the Great Salt Lake basin tho. Shocked

Finally, a definitive answer. Not 5.3 or 5.6, but 5.056. My idiot light come on about 175 miles, the farthest I've run it is 215 miles and the most fuel I've put in is approx 4.5 gallons.
K11 OG #466
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: