K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power tire machine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wera32
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Power tire machine Reply with quote

OK, so I'm seriously considering a power tire changer. Can anyone advise me on what brands are good and which are made of cheese? I'm not looking at Coats but more like the $1,000 range. Thanks
abreeze
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the nomar system. i like it a lot. it is a manual system though. i only change a few dozen tires a year and i dont have the space in the shop for a big electric one..

with all the accessories( and i have all of them) i have about $1500 in it.

ive heard mixed things about nomar from other people, changing tires is not a brainless process, their is a technique to doing it.

hope this helps...
kirkkw
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Power tire machine Reply with quote

wera32 wrote:
OK, so I'm seriously considering a power tire changer. Can anyone advise me on what brands are good and which are made of cheese? I'm not looking at Coats but more like the $1,000 range. Thanks

I once went down this path, did a lot of digging and decided against it. I instead have been using the Harbor Freight with plastic blocks to protect the rims and a Coats mount/demount bar. Plastic tips can be purchased for the Coats bar. I understand a lot of people are very happy with the MOJO bar but I have not seen one in operation.

Harbor Freight changer costs around $100 combined for both pieces when bought on sale or with 20% off coupons. Plastic blocks to protect the rims are $22 (which bolt to the Harbor Changer). The Coats bar was $100 delivered. The plastic tips were $35 for 6 pair. That should last you a life time. I changed a front tire on a K12RS last weekend and did not use levers for anything. The bar demounted and mounted the tire easily. Actually did it twice since it was on backwards the first time.

The Harbor Freight machine is worth the $100 bucks if used only as a bead breaker and to hold the wheel. You can lever the tire on and off this way, if desired. However, the long bar makes demounting a piece of cake, literally it almost jumps off with a little (little) technique.

There are 2 things that are really important when changing a tire. These 2 things will make or break you.

1. Get some real tire changing lube. I have used the heavy concentration of soap and water idea. It works but only so well. The problem is the water evaporates quickly and the soap can get sticky. I believe this causes the bead to not seat easily at times. The lube is soap, but has a feel of oil to it. So it stays slippery. I bought 5 or 8 pounds of it to be mixed with water. That should change 200 tires I would imagine. It is cheap. Wish I would have tried it many years ago.

2. MOST IMPORTANT POINT OF ENTIRE POST (HELLLO - ARE YOU LISTENING) The bead directly across the tire from where you are working either to mount or demount MUST be kept below the bead seating portion of the rim.

That's it. For around $300 you can change many many tires with little effort. The Harbor Freight changer hangs from my garage ceiling when not in use so it wastes no floor space.

Ken
2xcelr8
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Pictures? Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of your set up? I am contemplating the Harbor Freight set up as I have about 5 tires to change in the very near future. I figure the cost of having 5 tires done would cover 1/2 the cost of your set up. Where did you get the blocks to protect the rims. Do you have a part # for the Coats bar?

Thanks in advance.
kirkkw
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first: tools
http://www.myerstiresupply.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=475&info=8-MTS-Euro-Paste
Get some proper lube - mix with water - 8 pounds will last a lifetime unless wasted.

http://www.myerstiresupply.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=258&info=413-Tubeless-Passenger-Valve-TR413
Get plenty of these and replace them with every tire or no less frequently than 24 months.

http://www.myerstiresupply.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=276&info=Tubeless-Valve-Tool
Valve stem tool - may need to use 1" wood as spacer to lever against and also you should replace the pivot pin with a cotter pin or nail so the 2 parts of the tool can be separated. You will see why when working on front wheels with brake discs in the way.

Harbor Freight adapters
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516026&highlight=harbor+freight+adapters

http://www.mile-x.com/coats-107156-combo-tool.aspx
I use this Coats tire iron but suspect a Mojobar is also just fine but I have not used or even seen one other than in pictures.

http://www.mile-x.com/coats-107423-tire-changer-booties.aspx
end protectors for the Coats bar - 6 sets will change a lot of tires.

I use 2 anchors in the floor for the Harbor Freight machine and take it up and down as needed.

You can also check out Youtube videos of how people found ways to cover the Harbor Freight bar ends so that they do not scratch the rims.

Ken
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods,
Can this be sticky-fied? This is great info, but some of us aren't quite ready for it.

THANKS, Ken! Very helpful information, at least for those of us in the States.

The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton

Last edited by whyoldbill on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
2xcelr8
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Many Thanks! Reply with quote

Very Happy Ken, this is great. Thanks for the links.
kirkkw
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my hands on a Tire Stripper tire machine.

It is even better than what I expected. When I first saw the videos, almost 2 years ago, I was very impressed with the design.

Now having one to see first hand it is even better than I thought. What a beautiful piece of equipment. I hate to see it get dirty.

Wow!!

If you can find one - grab it.

Ken
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for Tire Stripper....

From their website:

"We have sold out our current stock of Tire Changers & Wheel Balancer
and we don't have plans to make any more at this time."
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Roy S.
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Sad
LURKER at LARGE
dwerbil
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. I was getting all excited watching their tire changing videos (I need to get out more often).
What was the price of these tire changers?

93 K1100RS ~ 2004 R1150RT ~ 84 RS ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 65 R60/2
Click for pics
Randy at Round Rock, Texas
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
So much for Tire Stripper....

From their website:

"We have sold out our current stock of Tire Changers & Wheel Balancer
and we don't have plans to make any more at this time."

I wonder if email inquiries from 50 or 60 k11og.org members would influence their plans?

Does anyone have the specifics on the Tire Stripper?

The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton
wera32
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally decided to buy a tire machine. I wish I had done it 20 years ago! Over the years wheels got wider and the drop centers more shallow. Tires got harder and harder to change. I came to dread tire changes. I even started taking them to the dealer. Shocked

I bought an Atlas TC221 from Greg Smith Equipment. I love this machine. Now the hardest part of tire changes is getting the wheels off of the bike. Yeah, I know it probably will never pay for itself but I can do my own changes on my own schedule. I also bought a BMW wheel balance adapter from Harbor Freight for about $10.00 so I can now balance the rear wheel from my R1100S.

I gave my Harbor Freight setup to a friend who lives too far from me to make it practical for him to come over and use the Atlas.

If you're thinking about a power machine don't do like I did and wait for decades. Buy it now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: