K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Locks and keys--and my fantasy life.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljjohns
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Locks and keys--and my fantasy life. Reply with quote

Core question: can a lock assembly in one of the peripheral devices (e.g., gas cap, luggage, seat) be modified when a replacement from a parts bike is used so that the original key fits the transplanted lock mechanism?

Background: I think I have a great deal on a pair of K11s, one of which is running (or so I am told but will verify) and the other of which is "missing some parts," including the gas cap. The two of them are being offered for a price that would be reasonable for a single bike.

I have this fantasy that I could (1) use the inoperable bike as a learning lab for wrenching; so far, I've been reluctant to turn a wrench without adult supervision on my running bikes for fear of making things worse; (2) if I got really lucky--since I don't think the inoperable bike is actually missing that much of significance; the seller (and the PO) seem to be largely clueless--I could restore that bike to full operability; or (3) at worst, have a parts bike for my own use or for sale.

Son-in-law, a bright mining engineer who just purchased scads of heavy equipment to open a gravel mine in Colorado, is going to eyeball the bikes in the next week. So I'm just speculating about what I can engage myself in when I get depressed about reading yet another set of essay exams (for the 39th year) from my "college" students.

Larry Johnson
El Paso, TX
(1995 K11LT-SE violet?)
(1996 K11LT-SE silver?)
2003 K1200LTC
1991 K75RT
miKeinWIs
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
Yes, they are "easy" to change, supposedly.
Check this out:
http://skylands.ibmwr.org/tom/tech/re-key/re-key.html
and this one:
http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/re-key.shtml

I have looked into it on my LT. Got one case lock out
but chickened out on the filing procedure. Just not sure about the whole thing. Will be a winter project but probly just take it to a smith.
If you end up with 2 extra lock cylinders, I'd be interested in them.
Good luck
Mike
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: key's & locks Reply with quote

I bought some city cases for my K.

Took a bit of fiddeling for me to get the tumbler out. Not certain that's exactly what the guts are called.
But then I filed it down with the key in and it works fine.
The first one you do is the hardest. Once you figure out exatxly how to release the guts of the lock it's easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: