K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, how many Iron Butt members are there here?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: So, how many Iron Butt members are there here? Reply with quote

And what rides have you had certified?

To be honest I hate slab.

I did my Saddlesore 1,000 when I bought a 179k K75RT for fairing parts after I dumped my K75RT in some sand at a stop sign. The bike was in San Diego so I figured it was a good time to get in an SS1K ride. I did it mid-December. That's not a good time to be riding in Oregon and Washington. The minute I hit the Oregon border, the sky turned dark and it rained like hell. I quickly discovered that my brand new waterproof boots were one way waterproof - once the water got in, it didn't leave. My feet were like they were in buckets of ice water. It was pretty brutal but I just emptied the water out at the gas stops, only to have them fill right back up in about five miles.

Then it started to snow. It was dark by then and the snow sticking to my windscreen and helmet shield caught the lights of oncoming traffic and I could barely see so I had to go about 35-40mph for an hour or so and was sure I was going to get run down by a semi or something. I would not have made it without the neoprene gloves I'd brought and the heated grips.

The rain finally let up a bit as I approached Portland so I pulled into a truck stop bar to get some food and a much needed beer. I was soaked through all of my layers by then and everyone in the bar was staring at me like I was crazy or something. The bartender gal had some sympathy for me and went to their hotel and grabbed me a big stack of towels so I could at least get some of my gear partially dried out.

The weather in Washington from there was on and off rain and I was thankful for that. I made it home by 2am (having left San Diego at 5am.) Despite the grueling 1,231 miles I'd already ridden I still felt like I had a few hundred more miles left in me.

I did my Bun Burner Gold and 50CC in the same ride from San Diego to Jacksonville Beach, Florida because I really wanted to ride Deals Gap, the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive but I didn't want to spend three or four days slogging across the country. I was prepared to stop if I had to but managed to ride the entire 2,461 miles "non-stop" in just over 36 hours - including the half an hour I wasted in San Antonio trying to find the frickin' Alamo. Arghhhh!

I sure wish I'd figured out the Audiovox cruise control before I did those rides.

I really don't like slab though so I doubt I'll ever do another IBA ride.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only done a SS1600 (same as your Saddle Sore 1000 but in klms) but am still waiting patiently for the verification. We are planning a longer one for October when the days are longer. One of the difficulties with nightime riding is the proliferation of wildlife on the roads. Makes it a bit like dodgem cars... See my short writeup here:-

http://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8825&highlight=ss1600

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we sit on our arses, WVMSFKRS (aka Mike and Melissa) are in Colorado this weekend- doing a Bun Burner Gold- 2-up on their 1200LT.

Gotta' give them big time credit for that.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I have a certified ride, yet. Will I have one? don't know. Is it a big deal? not really.
This spring I came home from HM3 at 975 miles, and about 14hrs.
I could have gone more to be able to say that I did, but, I know in my mind (and butt) that I can do an IB.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Shoganai
Biscuit Fluffer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS 1000
BBG

Failed 50CC.
(will try again tho)

The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there.
So slip the chain and I'm off again,
You'll find me everywhere. I'm a Rover. - JT

Nana korobi ya oki
Ted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a SS1000 during the short-lived Cap1000 rally - all on non-highways, mostly in WV Smile Came in with 1086 miles and 11 or so minutes to spare.
KOG#1
Carl
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: IBA Reply with quote

Completed a SS1000 one year while at Daytona on the way home to the Houston, Tx area. This was on my 93' K1100RS, absolutely no problems with the bike or the trip. The bike made easy work of it. Left Daytona about 5am and arrived home about 9pm. Got that out of my system and have not done another.
DLBass
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bun Burner 1500, and an End to End Gold on the same ride on a 92 Electra Glide 4 years ago. End to End Gold is John O'Groats to Lands End on an over 1000 mile route in under 24 hours. Route was Stirling to John O'Groats to Lands End to Gaydon motor heritage centre. 1539 miles, 29 hours 54 mins in mostly torrential rain. End to End Gold section took 18 hours 20.

Would I do another? I don't think so. I love riding long distance, but that much motorway or slab as some of you call it is not my idea of fun. And at 27 mpg (ridden hard) the EG tank is tooooo small. (12 fuel stops, sheesh)

Contacted the IBA 3 times to ask how much to send in with the paperwork, never got a reply, so never validated. I know I did it though, which is fine by me.

David
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,,

You are the man- TOUGH butt. You have my admiration.

However, you might want to rewrite your signature-

"There is only now, tomorrow is gone and is unchangeable, tomorrow is uncertain. Live in the moment."

Unless there is a message that I am missing?

John

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he is like me where your kids have pretty much organised tomorrow as well, dad can you drive me here, dad can you drive me there, dad, I need to be at .... sports ground at 6am tomorrow. oh and .... tomorrow is about 100ks away!

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
Freedom45
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another IBA member here. Multiple rides.

FYI: IBA will be opening a museum in Las Vegas soon. Given that the Iron Butt was struggling in the early 90s, Mike Kneebone has done a masterful job in guiding it to its prominence today. Expanding the envelope of personal riding endurance can be an addictive passion.
IBA #70 NRA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: