K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joburg Classic bike club, Easter Sunday

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Joburg Classic bike club, Easter Sunday Reply with quote

The weather was good this morning, it was quite a good turn out for Easter Sunday.

The marque of the was anything Italian.
A couple of superb Ducati singles and a real nice Laverda 500cc twin pitch.

My seconf bike was a 250cc Ducati Daytona, it was one of the few bikes I never fell off. Would love one now as a toy.
My first bike was a BSA Bantam although I'd never admit to it in public.
My parents SHAT themselves when I turned up with the little Duke, it looked like it was doing 100mph when on its centerstand.
My dad still talks about that event.




















Tomorrow we are hoping to take a ride to Sun City, its a casino / tourist icon 160km north of home. The forecast isnt good, hopefully the rain holds off till we get there. I don't mind getting soggy on the way home.

Malcolm(t)
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drikko
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 20 Nov 2009
Posts: 1966
Location: Brisbane, OZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omigod, aren't the duc singles gorgeous!!! As for Suncity, I spent a night there along time ago, great place if you can get there and back alive! So given that I was scared shiteless driving around for fear of carjacking, what's the story with being on a bike? Or aren't the hijackers after bikes?

edit: The day before I bought that TX500 my father said if either of us (me or my brother) bought a motorbike he'd take it down the creek and throw it in... I bought the 500 home the next day. I had the old man riding it around the block within the the hour Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
K1100RS '97
Laverda RGS 1000 '84
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the weather holds out tomorrow and I get to Sun City...and get some photo's on the way. You are correct..its pretty rough territory on the way. Hijacking isnt an issue with bikes, if there is a bike they want its stolen at night..often from inside a locked garage and 2meter locked gates Shocked

My dad is from the very old school, he's never owned a car, his only wheels were a pushbike and wheel barrow. My little Duke was such fun, she handled soooo well, But was sooo uncomfortable, I did a 250 mile trip to scotland with a buddy on the pillion, we were crippled when I got back. It took two days before the John Wayne walk eased.

The bike became an absolute pig to start, nobody could figure out why..then a quadrent gear failed on the kickstart and the local dealer couldnt get the clutch off..so I sold it. Damm
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Off the grid
Chaotic Good


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3414
Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badass! That Z1000 the Mad Max one?

I've always had a pining for hack rigs, especially older ones. When I'm retired I'll get one.
_________________
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chat to the owner of the Z1000.
The bike is absolutly spotless. It had some sensible mods like cast wheels and the paint was pretty close to original.

We spoke about the value, he reckoned he'd be lucky to get $2400 for it.
To put it in perspective..an 80's K100 can be bought for $2200 > $4000 for a top notch example.
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drikko
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 20 Nov 2009
Posts: 1966
Location: Brisbane, OZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are easily available here too, although advertised for 7 - 15k ie they've attained collector status.

Some good photos of the mad max bikes here:-

http://www.madmaxbikes.com/

And roll your own:-

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/Replica/Bikes/index.html

I particularly liked this bit from wikipedia, a true blue aussie:-

Mel Gibson, a complete unknown at this point, went to auditions with his friend and classmate Steve Bisley
(who would later land the part of Jim Goose). Gibson went to auditions in poor shape, as the night before
he had got into a drunken brawl with three men at a party, resulting in a swollen nose, a broken jawline,
and various other bruises. Mel showed up at the audition the next day looking like a "black and blue
pumpkin" (his own words). Mel did not expect to get the role and only went to accompany his friend. However,
the casting agent liked the look and told Mel to come back in two weeks, telling him "we need freaks." When
Gibson returned, he was not recognised because his wounds had healed almost completely; he received the part anyway.
_________________
K1100RS '97
Laverda RGS 1000 '84
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drikko
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 20 Nov 2009
Posts: 1966
Location: Brisbane, OZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely the Mad Max model, love the burnout:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwacyd9cqhQ&feature=PlayList&p=D957E99098F2CC9F&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=19
_________________
K1100RS '97
Laverda RGS 1000 '84
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1402
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one of the best movies of my youth. I loved Max's car and fell in love with it and am still lured by our Mustang Mach I (the closest thing we had here to the AU Ford Falcon in the US).

Every time I see one, I think 'Mad Max".

My favorite scene is where he comes across one of the bad guys at the scene of a wreck (I think it's the one who killed his wife and daughter) and rather than do him in right then, handcuffs him to the car with a lighter rigged to blow it up and gives him a hacksaw to either cut his own foot off in time, or die trying to cut the handcuffs, and then walks away while the car blows up.....classic!

Sorry for the hijack, those are some great looking bikes, I wish we had more shows like that around here.
_________________
Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
93 K1100RS Mystic Red SOLD
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Pictures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group