| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
drikko Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 20 Nov 2009 Posts: 1966 Location: Brisbane, OZ
|
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:04 am Post subject: Ride report from today |
|
|
A trip to the museum and the road from hell all in one day!!
I was supposed to paint the kids rooms today so thought I'd go for a ride instead....ah the joys of not being married
So off to Marilyn's place for lunch. This is her with the red hair:-
http://www.maiala.com.au/index.php?gt=home
Lots of people there today!
Off to the Australian Motorcycle museum at Haigslea.
Possibly the 2 rarest bikes in OZ:-
What a shame this is only a replica. I'm not actually sure there are any real ones here, they aren't cheap,
the real ones that is:-
Oh how gorgeous are these!!:-
Why stop at 6 cylinders when you can have 8, complete with edelbrock kit out. There was a sticker on
the fairing that said "Evades High Speed Pursuits" hahahaha :-
My first ever bike, wow that was a long time ago!! The TX500 Yamagiggle (no not an XT)
Wanna kill yourself? Why not get one of these, a Rickman Kumansukme 900 turbocharged!!
On the road again, That's Cameron from the BM club of QLD in front of me, he happened to be at the museum as well.
A 180 degree panorama, this could be just about anywhere in OZ, just east of Warwick for the locals,
hope this isn't too wide!:-
How green is my valley? These cows are bred to have 2 legs shorter than the others. You can tell which
legs are shorter by which direction they were standing in, they all seemed to be different :-
Now to the road from hell, past the Queen Mary Falls, it was really steep, very tight corners and worst
of all as bumpy as hell!! It was bumpier than Dolly and Pam Anderson put together!! It was so bumpy
and steep that I was slammed into the tank continuously, now remember from the other thread I had armouralled
my stupid seat!! This made it almost impossible to keep my meat and 2 veges from being crushed. I definitely
don't need that vasectomy now! OUCH!
Why I don't like riding these roads at night, yep there was cattle on the road and they aren't fitted with
lights or reflectors.
It got dark after that, the bugs were unbelievable. To have anything but a FF helmet on would have been
insane, although if you rode along with your mouth open you wouldn't have had to stop for dinner....
So another awesome day except for the nugget crushing, did about 460ks altogether.
Cheers
D _________________ K1100RS '97
Laverda RGS 1000 '84
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB
DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:16 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Hey Drikko, Cracking pics (once again).
Who's the cheesy dude with Marilyn, he looks familiar, can't place the face.
I remember the MV's from my early years in the UK, don't think I've ever seen any here. Same goes for the Mamot, did they use an NSU motor ?? They were butt ugly but huge for the 70's.
Were those cows with shorted legs bred from scottish haggs stock ??
Suppose you know the tale how wild haggis are captured.
Have you seen any of the pics I took when the local Laverda club visited the Classic bike club ?? BTW..its the monthly CBC meeting on Sunday, hope the weather is clear. _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
drikko Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 20 Nov 2009 Posts: 1966 Location: Brisbane, OZ
|
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:23 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Not sure about the cows sorry
The Munch motor was a Fiat 1200 if I remember rightly. The museum owner actually toured around OZ on that one so he did a lot of miles on it, reckons it was as smooth as to ride, was a worry on corners as it would scrape the crankcases pretty easily!!
No I didn't see yer pics re the Lav club, i'll go look for them now.
Gotta go n replace the ice on the wedding tackle.....
Post pics of the meet ! _________________ K1100RS '97
Laverda RGS 1000 '84
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB
DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Off the grid Chaotic Good

Joined: 05 Jul 2006 Posts: 3414 Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.
|
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:56 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I would love to visit Australia. Why do you mates have to live halfway across the fkn world?
Is it true the national motto is, "If you don't like the way we do things here get the fk out!"
If so, that rocks! _________________ Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
SugarHillCTD Site Admin

Joined: 10 Oct 2007 Posts: 4238 Location: Now in Eastern Pennsylvania
|
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Ride report from today |
|
|
| drikko wrote: |
My first ever bike, wow that was a long time ago!! The TX500 Yamagiggle (no not an XT)
D |
Nice pictures- thanks for the trip down memory lane. Hey, my first ever bike was a Yamaha XS500D- I guess it had different designations outside the U.S.. Mine had cast wheels but the engine looks just like the one in my bike. Great little bike- I did a couple of years of club racing with it and rode it on the street. Handled very well. Wish I still had it.....
Thanks again,
John _________________ John & Cathy
'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
drikko Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 20 Nov 2009 Posts: 1966 Location: Brisbane, OZ
|
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:47 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Yamagiggle had quite a few problems with the TX500, the cams used to break and they had valve over
heating problems and cam chain issues. Apart from that they were good So they hastily redesigned and out came
the XS500 worldwide which is what you had. The motor looked almost the same but the tank and seat were squarer and to be honest looked a lot better,
and they lasted a bit longer!! You are right, they were a great bike, I used to sit on mine all day at full throttle
which was about 160-170 kph. Did about 50,000ks on it before giving it to my brother (the bike that is).
Funny thing happened on it one day, I noticed a burning sensation inside my left leg one day (normal on the K11), looked down
and there were flames coming from under the tank. Pulled over real fast and ran away expecting the tank to explode
but the flames went out so went back, some wiring was fried, in fact most of the wiring was fried, but there was
enough left for it to run still, isolated the burnt bits and rode off! This was fortunate as I was way out west with
no help for miles! In the hour I was stopped to sort it out, no one came past at all, and the whole ride
to the nearest town, I saw no other vehicles of any sort!
So as to why we are halfway around the world OTG, we actually used to be up between Hawaii and SFa, but we
had it towed down here to get away from you lot. We left Hawaii behind as it was already infected....we only wanted
the good bits
Ducking for cover yet again...see disclaimer below.... _________________ K1100RS '97
Laverda RGS 1000 '84
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB
DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
drikko Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 20 Nov 2009 Posts: 1966 Location: Brisbane, OZ
|
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:40 am Post subject: |
|
|
Looks like I might have it the wrong way around OTG!! :-
http://stuffucanuse.com/aussie_windows/am.htm _________________ K1100RS '97
Laverda RGS 1000 '84
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB
DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:48 am Post subject: |
|
|
Now that would make an interesting tour.. Ride down to Spain..quick ferry trip to Oz..maybe there would be an tunnel.. cracking ride round the island for a few weeks, then back in time for Chrimbo.
That may tempt me to move back to the UK.
Edit:
 _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 am Post subject: |
|
|
Drikko, Here's the Laverda pics, better than last months Jag visit.
The weather is clear this morning.. Time for a triple 'S' and off to this mornings meet.
 _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
drikko Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 20 Nov 2009 Posts: 1966 Location: Brisbane, OZ
|
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:28 am Post subject: |
|
|
That's awesome thanks Malcolm. Didn't see any twins there. Did you notice how Laverdas attract better
looking girls??
It's so good to see there are people keeping these old machines going, most of those triples are 30 years old
now. Mind you Laverda was legendary for building bulletproof although heavy engines. I bet some of
those have never been opened. _________________ K1100RS '97
Laverda RGS 1000 '84
Jim Young Trailer Sailer 5.7M WB
DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:11 am Post subject: |
|
|
| drikko wrote: | That's awesome thanks Malcolm. Didn't see any twins there. Did you notice how Laverdas attract better
looking girls?? |
Those pics were taken FIVE years ago.
I wonder how well the bike are running.
I also wonder how the girls look now they've grown up.  _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|