 |
K11 Owners Group K11 Owners Group
|
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
joeangi Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 03 Apr 2006 Posts: 291 Location: Westchester, New York
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:03 pm Post subject: Intermittent stalling |
|
|
I have a problem, that I thought was cured. Ever since I got the bike running, it has had an intermittent stalling problem.
When I got the bike the fuel pump was shot, so I replaced it with an aftermarket unit. All lines and filter were changed at the same time. The bike fires right up, and runs great. Then all of a sudden the bike would stall, and not re-start. I could not hear the fuel pump whining when it stalled, or would not start. I figured out that if I played with the wiring harness for the fuel pump, It would re-energize the pump, and start fine. I finally cut off the fuel pump connector, and replaced it with a nice new one from Jim at Eastern Beaver. Everything worked fine....
Today I was out with the bike, and I was waiting at a light, and it stalled. I tried to re-start...and nothing. I rolled myself out of traffic, turned the bike on and off a few times, and the pump came back on....and away I went. I proceeded to ride for a few miles, then it died again in a parking lot. ....few minutes of turning the key on and off, finally the pump re-energizes, and off I go for a few feet...then it stalled. Finally get it going, and back to the garage.
All wires were checked when I did the restoration. The only part I did not dis-assemble is the ignition switch. It also has no steering lock, only off and start. should I take the ignition switch apart? Does anyone have any ideas where else I should look?
Thank you for any advice.
Joe _________________ 1994 K1100RS
1986 K100RS |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Jim Site Admin

Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 3841 Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:40 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Joe - I guess this is the K11, right? Side stand switch and kill switch. I spray all the connectors and switches I can access whenever I'm working on the bike - or at least once a year with CorrosionX. I've also started using dielectric silicone on the connectors. I've never had a problem with things not working since I started doing this.
The only other thing I can think of is the HES - you can check that at home with a hair dryer. _________________ Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000
"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
joeangi Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 03 Apr 2006 Posts: 291 Location: Westchester, New York
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:14 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Dear Jim,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is the K1100. I had just gotten a can of corrosion-x, but have not used it yet.
All switches have been sprayed, and worked with wd40 until it was clear. Side stand switch is jumped. The whole bike powers up when I turn the key, but sometimes I do not hear the whine of the fuel pump, and then it won't start. I can work on the kill switch some more, that may be it???
I too have added dielectric grease to all connectors.
I have put maybe 40-50 miles on this bike (not registered yet...) but it has stranded me on the side of the road twice now. That has never happened in 23 years with the K100RS.
BTW what is the HES?
Thanks,
Joe _________________ 1994 K1100RS
1986 K100RS |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Saltcreek Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 22 Oct 2008 Posts: 957 Location: New Hampshire
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:32 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Fuel pump just failed on my Chevy pickup and the pump alone was $460.
If it were me, I would plug in a battery tender when it wasn't working and wiggle connectors until I heard it start. It's got to be something simple. _________________ Jim
1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 37000 miles, sold
2009 Wilderness Systems Zephyr 155 ST
2002 Litespeed titanium |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
joeangi Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 03 Apr 2006 Posts: 291 Location: Westchester, New York
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:48 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Really thought it was the connector under the tank, since that seemed to turn the fuel pump on and off when I wiggled it. Now that it is replaced I am not so sure...
Joe _________________ 1994 K1100RS
1986 K100RS |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jpberens1994K1100RS Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 Posts: 784 Location: Hales Corners, WI. / Relocating to central FL.
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:29 pm Post subject: stalling |
|
|
I had a 94 RS for a brief few weeks. The PO had a NEW internal ignition
switch part, I think it was the switch internals. When the handle bars were turned to far left or right, think parking lot speed, the bike would cut out.
I rode it over 1,000 miles that way before I got totaled.No, I did not get wiped out due to the stalling thing. See if your bike does that. If it does, maybe it's that part.
You can have mine, it's brand new in the bag.
I got a 93 now and no problems with any of that. _________________ 1993 K1100RS that I'd rather be riding FAST!
2014 Moto Guzzi Norge |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Tim (Midland Section) Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 08 Apr 2005 Posts: 960 Location: Pinxton, Nottingham, England.
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:55 pm Post subject: |
|
|
There is a previous thread about this, can't be arsed to search.
Basically, the harness to the switch under the lock is sometimes tied too tight. It fractures the wires inside the insulation. My second K11 did that.
With care, the switch can be removed once you've found the tiny grub screw, & unplugged. Then it's off to the bench to solder some new wires in, or off to the stealer to buy a new one.
HTH _________________ Regards Tim,
Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1996 Guzzi Cali3 LAPD
1972 750 Commando
G6HRN
#485 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:36 pm Post subject: Re: Intermittent stalling |
|
|
| joeangi wrote: | | It also has no steering lock |
Yes it does unless someone purposefully disabled it. (Johnny used to think his Motoheap didn't have one either.) _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BobZ(IL) Rider in the Sky

Joined: 20 May 2007 Posts: 651 Location: Bourbonnais, IL
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:04 pm Post subject: |
|
|
You might try wiggling the kill switch when your fuel pump won't activate. _________________ '93 K1100LT
'78 R100S
'05 R1200GS
BMWMOA, CRBMWOA, ABC, K11OG #997
Live well, do good work, enjoy the ride. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Jim Site Admin

Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 3841 Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:48 pm Post subject: stalling |
|
|
Joe - HES is Hall Effect Sensor - I'm pretty sure that's the one that can fault when it gets hot.
Although it is starting to sound more like a loose wire connection. _________________ Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000
"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
joeangi Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 03 Apr 2006 Posts: 291 Location: Westchester, New York
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:18 pm Post subject: |
|
|
OK, just spent some quality time in the garage. Of course the fuel pump was working fine, every time I switched the ignition on.
I took the kill switch apart, it was quite dirty in there. I cleaned the contacts and lubed it up. I was able to get the fuel pump to cut out. I'm figuring those guys are the best...it is the kill switch. So I also soak the whole thing in corrosion x, and while I'm at it I give a quick shot down the ignition cylinder. Yes Drake, I finally found the steering lock. It took like 100 turns of the key (with purpose) to get it to go there, but it finally did. Another 50 turns or so, and I got to the parking light detent.
Now, I can't get the fuel pump to work at all...I don't know if the corrosion x acted as a insulator, but I just put it on the tender, and will give it the night to sit.
When I flip the kill switch, I get the dash lights to come on, but still no pump.
Thanks for the tips, I think you guys are right, and it is in that switch. I took all the small Phillips screws out behind the kill switch, and would like to look around in there to see if any of the wires are loose (broken). I attempted to wiggle the wires, but no change (no pump).
Thanks,
Joe _________________ 1994 K1100RS
1986 K100RS |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Jim Site Admin

Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 3841 Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS
|
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:47 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Joe - CorrosionX will not interfere with electrical connections - you can rule that out. _________________ Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000
"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:39 am Post subject: |
|
|
Yeah, the steering lock is sticky, especially if it never gets used.
Just throwing this out as another possible suspect: Fuel pump relay? _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
rydor Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 16 Nov 2006 Posts: 1304 Location: Southern Illinois, U.S.A.
|
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:14 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Replace the fuse that handles the horn, even if it looks OK. No, I'm not crazy. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
joeangi Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 03 Apr 2006 Posts: 291 Location: Westchester, New York
|
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:13 am Post subject: |
|
|
I was starting to think of fuel pump relay...if I remember correctly, they are interchangeable? I will try that this morning.
All fuses are new, but I will swap them out. Nothing is crazy!
I thought corrosion x was good for electrical contacts. _________________ 1994 K1100RS
1986 K100RS |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Saltcreek Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 22 Oct 2008 Posts: 957 Location: New Hampshire
|
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:19 am Post subject: |
|
|
Just as a side trip, on my ignition lock I can't remove the key unless I lock the steering. Aren't they all like that?
Joe, I'd be inclined to replace the whole right combination switch. I know others have rebuilt them successfully but while the left switch can give you lighting problems, the right switch can strand you. _________________ Jim
1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 37000 miles, sold
2009 Wilderness Systems Zephyr 155 ST
2002 Litespeed titanium |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:50 am Post subject: |
|
|
| joeangi wrote: | | I was starting to think of fuel pump relay...if I remember correctly, they are interchangeable? I will try that this morning. |
Yes, the little black relays are all the same part. Try swapping the horn and fuel pump relays.
 _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Saltcreek wrote: | | Just as a side trip, on my ignition lock I can't remove the key unless I lock the steering. Aren't they all like that? |
No. The most clockwise position is on. The position next to it should turn off the bike and allow you to remove the key. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
joeangi Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 03 Apr 2006 Posts: 291 Location: Westchester, New York
|
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 am Post subject: |
|
|
I went out and started to wiggle the side stand connector, and it came to life. So, I took it apart, cleaned it and soldered the wires together, just to be sure. I continued to pull it apart and put it back together with success. I could hear the fuel pump relay clicking as I inserted the plug, so I did not remove the tank to swap them. Drake, thank you for the diagram.
Button it back up...ok shut the seat, and it doesn't work again. How could this be?? I raise the seat, and move the motronic plug, and it comes to life!
I guess when I reached for the sidestand plug, I rested my hand on the motronic plug. So I removed the plug and inserted it a few times, it appears to be working properly. That seems to be it, since I used to wiggle the wires under the tank, before I replace the connector...and I am sure I brushed or hit the motronic plug at some point. _________________ 1994 K1100RS
1986 K100RS |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
|