K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for metalheads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Question for metalheads Reply with quote

I made some small caliper mounting brackers to put lights down on the front caliper bolts. They're a little thick so I think I'll need some longer caliper mounting bolts. Just to be safe I want to make sure that they have adequate strength.

In looking at the ETK, it shows that stock caliper bolts are M10x30 so I'm thinking I need some M10x35 bolts to get fully threaded into the caliper.

It just so happens that there are engine to frame mounting bolts that are M10x35. My assumption is that BMW probably used the same strength bolts for the engine mounting bolts and that I'd be fine swapping in some slightly longer frame mounting bolts.

Does this make sense? Question

In case anyone is interested, here's how I made them.

I was looking for something cheap and stable that would stick out 4 inches. I found these aluminum brackets on FleaBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320263813590&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

The one is the upper right is how I modified them before sending off to my pal to get them powder coated. I pre-drilled them to accommodate my cheapo WallyWorld fog lights which have about a 180 degree beam width and I replaced the bulbs with Xenon yellow 55W bulbs from eBay.

Right side bracket:

My pal is smarter than I am so he trimmed them down even more so now they look like the one in the lower left of the picture. It will be powder coated in satin black. I should have them back in a week or so and will post pics of them installed.

These will be great for making my bikes visible in the daytime (my objective) since they're bright, off color(yellow) and have a WIDE beam width. Better than Motolights IMHO and about $60 per bike.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
abreeze
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front caliper bolts are 8.8 metric. Any bolt with the marking on the head with 8.8 on it and will do the job. As far as the length, the bolt should run past the caliper mounting threds (1 or 2mm).

The engine to frame mount bolts are 8.8 metric.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for easing my mind - I never noticed markings on the bolts. I just learned something.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: